How should I configure the network name on my Range Extender?

2019-05-10 00:42:54 - last edited 2022-07-29 09:40:11
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

With TP-Link range extenders there are two ways to configure the network name.  You can either clone the ssid of your host network or you can give the extender a custom ssid.  This article will let you know the difference between the two.

Cloning the Host SSID:

By cloning the ssid you are setting the range extender to use the same ssid as the host device.  The benefits of doing this allow for seamless transition between the host device and the range extender.  This means you do not need to manually connect to the extender each time you want to use it.  The downside is that sometimes devices might be confused on which AP they should connect to or they may stay stuck to a single AP not allowing the client devices such as, a laptop or a mobile phone to connect to the range extender or vice versa.  This is usually a problem with devices without AP roaming built in.  Most of today’s mobile devices do not have this issue but this but older mobile devices and laptops may. 

Custom SSID:

When you customize the SSID you are giving your Range Extender a unique network name.  This allows you to always know when your connected to the range extender. This also avoids the AP roaming issues associated with cloning the SSID option. This can also be the downside though, as you must manually connect to the extender each time you want to use it. 

Whichever way you decide to setup your range extender it gives you a quick, easy and effective way to expand the range of your wireless network.  If you’re in the market for a range extender, we would like to suggest a solid choice.  Our RE220 is an inexpensive dual band range extender.   It is capable of AC750 speeds and can be setup as a range extender or access point. You can purchase it from Amazon here

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How should I configure the network name on my Range Extender?-Solution
2021-03-17 18:13:00 - last edited 2022-07-29 09:40:11

@1982Corvette 

That depends on the method being used to setup the extender. 

Using a web broswer @ 1:08 shows how to change SSID

Using the Tether App  @ 1:52 shows how to change the SSID.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:How should I configure the network name on my Range Extender?
2021-03-16 21:39:28

@Carl How do you coustmize the ssid name?

Options
Re:How should I configure the network name on my Range Extender?-Solution
2021-03-17 18:13:00 - last edited 2022-07-29 09:40:11

@1982Corvette 

That depends on the method being used to setup the extender. 

Using a web broswer @ 1:08 shows how to change SSID

Using the Tether App  @ 1:52 shows how to change the SSID.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-06-04 21:09:58

Carl wrote

With TP-Link range extenders there are two ways to configure the network name.  You can either clone the ssid of your host network or you can give the extender a custom ssid.  This article will let you know the difference between the two.

Cloning the Host SSID:

By cloning the ssid you are setting the range extender to use the same ssid as the host device.  The benefits of doing this allow for seamless transition between the host device and the range extender.  This means you do not need to manually connect to the extender each time you want to use it.  The downside is that sometimes devices might be confused on which AP they should connect to or they may stay stuck to a single AP not allowing the client devices such as, a laptop or a mobile phone to connect to the range extender or vice versa.  This is usually a problem with devices without AP roaming built in.  Most of today’s mobile devices do not have this issue but this but older mobile devices and laptops may. 

Custom SSID:

When you customize the SSID you are giving your Range Extender a unique network name.  This allows you to always know when your connected to the range extender. This also avoids the AP roaming issues associated with cloning the SSID option. This can also be the downside though, as you must manually connect to the extender each time you want to use it. 

Whichever way you decide to setup your range extender it gives you a quick, easy and effective way to expand the range of your wireless network.  If you’re in the market for a range extender, we would like to suggest a solid choice.  Our RE220 is an inexpensive dual band range extender.   It is capable of AC750 speeds and can be setup as a range extender or access point. You can purchase it from Amazon here

@Carl 

Options
2022-02-12 14:41:33 - last edited 2022-02-12 14:42:11

@Carl hi Carl, I was wondering does your article about cloning the network names also apply to the RE500X range extender?

Options
2022-02-14 18:09:15

@Batman1955 

Yes, all range extenders can have the extended network run on a custom SSID (with the same password) or on the same SSID (cloned) as its network name. 

Options
2022-02-14 19:36:58 - last edited 2022-02-14 19:37:20

@Carl Thank you very much for your response! I think this question should be better detailed in future GUI installations and or documentation.

In closing, have a great week!

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 78027

Replies: 6