Linux makefile for Archer T9UH does not complete successfully

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-10 01:40:01 - last edited 2019-05-11 20:40:57
Model: Archer T9UH  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ?

We are told to install gcc, but it's installed by default in Linux Mint, and, I suspect, most distributions.

The instructions tell us to make clean, so I executed it in the same directory as the driver. As you can see, it had three errors, all trying to cd to a non-existent directory. Maybe I can ignore those errors.

In the make, it is stated "please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel." I installed the first and ran it again, but the errors remained the same: there is no hal_ic_cfg.h in include, so it's game over. Clearly no one at TP-Link actually tested these instructions.

If someone knows how to successfully compile it, please let me know. This was my first TP-Link product and it will be my last unless I can get it to work.

mysystem ~/Downloads/archerT9UH/linux-driver $ ls
clean  hal        include  Makefile  wlan0dhcp
core   ifcfg-wlan0  Kconfig  runwpa    wpa_0_8.conf
mysystem ~/Downloads/archerT9UH/linux-driver $ make clean
cd hal/phydm/ ; rm -fr */*.mod.c */*.mod */*.o */.*.cmd */*.ko
cd hal/phydm/ ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
cd hal/led ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
cd hal ; rm -fr */*/*.mod.c */*/*.mod */*/*.o */*/.*.cmd */*/*.ko
cd hal ; rm -fr */*.mod.c */*.mod */*.o */.*.cmd */*.ko
cd hal ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
cd core/efuse ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
cd core ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
cd os_dep/linux ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
/bin/sh: 1: cd: can't cd to os_dep/linux
cd os_dep ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
/bin/sh: 1: cd: can't cd to os_dep
cd platform ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
/bin/sh: 1: cd: can't cd to platform
rm -fr Module.symvers ; rm -fr Module.markers ; rm -fr modules.order
rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko *~
rm -fr .tmp_versions
mysystem ~/Downloads/archerT9UH/linux-driver $ make
make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/4.15.0-48-generic/build M=/home/me/Downloads/archerT9UH/linux-driver  modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-48-generic'
Makefile:976: "Cannot use CONFIG_STACK_VALIDATION=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel"
  CC [M]  /home/me/Downloads/archerT9UH/linux-driver/core/rtw_cmd.o
In file included from /home/me/Downloads/archerT9UH/linux-driver/include/drv_types.h:30:0,
                 from /home/me/Downloads/archerT9UH/linux-driver/core/rtw_cmd.c:22:
/home/me/Downloads/archerT9UH/linux-driver/include/drv_conf.h:23:24: fatal error: hal_ic_cfg.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
scripts/Makefile.build:330: recipe for target '/home/me/Downloads/archerT9UH/linux-driver/core/rtw_cmd.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/home/me/Downloads/archerT9UH/linux-driver/core/rtw_cmd.o] Error 1
Makefile:1552: recipe for target '_module_/home/me/Downloads/archerT9UH/linux-driver' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/me/Downloads/archerT9UH/linux-driver] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-48-generic'
Makefile:1699: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Options
6 Reply
Re:Linux makefile for Archer T9UH does not complete successfully
2019-05-13 16:27:04

@pccobbler 

It looks like the driver will not work with the OS distribution. Given the variety of distros we can not guarentee it will work with every OS. 

There was a user in the global forum that posted their experience, and how they were able to get it working.

Here is a link: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/323.

Options
Re:Re:Linux makefile for Archer T9UH does not complete successfully
2019-05-14 21:37:43

Linux Mint is a spin of Ubuntu, the most widely-used distribution. If TP-Link cannot take the time to port to Ubuntu, then it should state on its support website in large letters, "NOT SUPPORTED ON LINUX!"

The least you could have done was supply the name of the chipset for the T9UH so I could save a few steps. I won't be wasting any more time or money on TP-Link products.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Linux makefile for Archer T9UH does not complete successfully
2019-06-07 00:56:51

@pccobbler 

All of our adapters that support Linux have it listed on their product page and the drivers for linux list what kernel it will work with.  

Options
2019-11-01 13:21:34

@pccobbler 

I followed https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/323. and I was able to download Archer T4UH V1 driver successfully and connect to the internet.  

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Linux kernel version 5.0

gcc 7.4.0

I can connect to the internet, so I'm satisfied so far. However, I must say that people often buy a wifi adapter because their device doesn't connect to the internet. The fact that I must `sudo apt install XX` to install prerequisite packages to install driver doesn't really make sense to me. And this was not what I expected really. I had to borrow a wifi adapter that doesn't require any installation from a friend to get this product work. I hope these products support Linux natively just like Windows. 

Options
2019-11-18 08:48:01
This is due to inconsistencies in the linux T9UH driver source. TP-Link is providing bad source code for the Archer T9UH_180428_Linux_beta.zip and Archer T9UH(EU&US)_V2_170831_Linux.zip files. They don't make properly and it is pitiful and incompetent that they foist this off as a driver download.
Options
2020-07-30 23:13:10
The T9UH I purchased from Amazon was supposed to be version 2.8; however, it was really just 1.0 when I plugged it into the USB port. SO, I did an exchange for another one in hopes of getting the version 2.8 as advertised, but the second T9UH was also only version 1.0. As for the Linux drivers, I was disappointed in TP-LINK support, but eventually found that the T9UH would connect to the Internet after installing a kernel module on CentOS 7 kmod-rtl8812au.x86_64 Someday, I hope TP-LINK support will be able to provide a download link to upgrade the firmware as well as download working drivers for the Realtek rtl8814au chipset.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3077

Replies: 6