Wifi Connectivity issue Master thread
2019-05-17 05:28:16 - last edited 2019-05-17 05:34:17
Model: Deco M5
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.6

I figured we need a master thread to list all devices that seem to have issues with maintaining connectivity to the mesh network

1. roku devices including but not limited to Roku TV's and roku streaming boxes

2. other smart tv devices (sony are the only ones I have seen reported) 

3. some Older cell phones (personally my LG G5 and Galaxy S5 both have issues dealing with 2.4 and 5Ghz having the same ssid) 

4. laptops with realtek wifi chipsets ( I routinely need to reboot the aps to get the laptops reconnected) 

possible fixes 

support separate SSID's for both bands while maintaining support for fast roam and other mess features this seems to be the workaround for most devices 

along with disabling 'mesh' networking for the device which you can do through the app tho that does not resolve the SSID/band conflicts 

I honestly think this is some sort of DHCP bug where the device is roaming between bands for some reason and its breaking DHCP because the mac address keeps changing and the DHCP expect a response from X mac address but is getting an offer from another one 

based on my debugging the way deco handles device association is temperamental at best

older devices or ones without explicit 802.1R/K support  seem to have major issues keeping a connection without constant ap reboots this is a pretty common theme with any AP that offers 2.4Ghz/5Ghz on the same SSID its why its Optional on most AP's on the market and it needs to be Optional for Deco 

Options