1.3.0 Ethernet LAN Blocked

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

1.3.0 Ethernet LAN Blocked

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
34 Reply
Re:Re:Re:1.3.0 Ethernet LAN Blocked
2019-05-26 02:55:20

RetiredInFl wrote

Maybe I am having no issues because I am running in A/P mode?  3 M5 V1's  running ethernet backhaul 2 of them (both "remote) connected to MOCA 2.0 adapters.

Quite possible.  It looks like most of the issues revolve around the DHCP server and Anti-Virus (Intrusion and Quarantine) features, which are disabled in A/P mode.

Options
Re:Re:1.3.0 Ethernet LAN Blocked
2019-05-28 16:13:22 - last edited 2019-05-28 18:24:06

@CSEngineer 

What is the current network topology you are using?

With respect to the Deco unit that was removed if the reset is held for a extended period of time the Deco will go into recovery mode. The LED will pulsate like it is ready to be added, but it will not be possible. You need to cut the power to it, then power it back up.

Options
2019-05-28 18:09:54

Tony wrote

@CSEngineer 

What is the current network topology you are using?

With respect to the Deco unit that was removed if the reset is held for a extended period of time the Deco will go into recovery mode. The LED will pulsate like it is ready to be added, but it will not be possible. You need to cut the power to it, then power it back up.

After reading on recovery efforts I was able to get the two Decos back onto the network. It took some doing.

I'll try to ASCII art my network here:

== is Gig Ethernet

^^^ is WiFi

Wireless Devices

^^^

Deco 3                               Wireless Devices, Roku Premiere (only works occasionally in 1.2.5+)

^^^                                        ^^^

Fiber              AT&T             Main         TP-Link         == Deco 2

Modem  ==    Gateway  == Deco  ==  unmanaged   == DNS server (disabled now as it kills the network)

(passthrough)     ^^^          Gig switch     == More PCs, Printer, IOT devices

^^^                                == TP-Link Switch == More wired devices (TV, Xbox One, etc)

Wireless Devices

So I've done more analysis on what goes on when I set the "DHCP Server" DNS server setting in the Deco App (this is ONLY a 1.3.0 bug, I've been using this config for multiple 1.2.x releases with no issue). Setting the DNS on the WAN side works just great, and I've experimented with the server on the WAN side attached to the Gateway, and that has no issues.

Deco DHCP is set to 192.168.0.x subnet, and the Linux server hosting the DNS has a fixed IP allocation within the DHCP parameters.

Set DNS on the DHCP page to the fixed IP of the server (192.168.0.250)

1. Immediately Deco 2 drops the ethernet backhaul and switches to WiFi backhaul (I've tried tweaking DNS settings but to no avail, this is definitely a bug)

2. At some point (not immediately) the Deco DHCP server stops handing out leases to all devices on the Wired network

3. The network remains stable for the duration of the DHCP leases (about 2 hours)

4. All the wired devices start "dying" as they go to renew leases and can't

5. When the DNS server loses its lease, then all wireless devices also lockup unable to resovle DNS queries

Additional Problem the "Anti-virus" now aggressively blocks devices on the network. It will spontaneously kick every Windows PC off the network at one point.  At least a few times a day it temporarily block all our laptops from the WiFi. I've since disable all the Anti-virus features hoping to stop this.

Options
Re:1.3.0 Ethernet LAN Blocked
2019-05-28 18:26:34

@CSEngineer 

What is the Deco app version, and type of smart phone you are using?

Options
2019-05-28 18:47:56

Tony wrote

@CSEngineer 

What is the Deco app version, and type of smart phone you are using?

Android (version Pie)

App version 1.8.5, which in the Play Store is the last version, updated April 12

Options
2019-05-29 14:32:48

I was able to resolved my issue. Let me explain the scenario.

I have Raspberry Pi configured to use PiHole for my DNS Server.

This is currently connected to the main Deco5 base via Ethernet cable.

After the latest update, my internet connection goes bonkers. If I unplugged the ethernet cable for my PiHole, and restart Deco5 I have stable internet connection. Since I want to use PiHole for my DNS, i did the following

a) Unplug all Ethernet connected device from main Deco5 except the cable that goes to Modem.

b) Reboot the Main Deco5 puck, unplug the power cable.

c) As soon as internet connectivity is back, I plug my Pihole ethernet cable to my second Deco5 puck.

Seems to be working now for the last 4 days. This is still a problem that needs to be fixed though. I hope TPLINK support is taking notes of this.

Cheers,

Options
2019-05-30 21:22:43

DecoMan5 wrote

I was able to resolved my issue. Let me explain the scenario.

I have Raspberry Pi configured to use PiHole for my DNS Server.

This is currently connected to the main Deco5 base via Ethernet cable.

After the latest update, my internet connection goes bonkers. If I unplugged the ethernet cable for my PiHole, and restart Deco5 I have stable internet connection. Since I want to use PiHole for my DNS, i did the following

a) Unplug all Ethernet connected device from main Deco5 except the cable that goes to Modem.

b) Reboot the Main Deco5 puck, unplug the power cable.

c) As soon as internet connectivity is back, I plug my Pihole ethernet cable to my second Deco5 puck.

Seems to be working now for the last 4 days. This is still a problem that needs to be fixed though. I hope TPLINK support is taking notes of this.

Cheers,

Glad it working for you.  Ultimately since I have a mandatory 2 devices south of the Deco, modem and ATT gateway to operate said modem, I put my pi-hole on the gateway network WITH the Deco WAN port, and configured the Deco WAN settings to use the Pi-Hole. This has been working well so far.

I tried 3 times basically what you described and each time the network went bonkers at some point. Immediate (on first FW update), 26 hours after doing the same unplug everything steps, 2 hours, and 8 hours. 

Such a mess.  Hope after 4 days it holds for you.

Options
2019-06-04 16:47:29

Well,

I seem to be having better success now that I have accepeted using 8.8.8.8 as DNS server configured in the deco.  Previously I had used an internal dns server that allowed me to have local dns entries for systems.

Thats good that I'm not losing connection any more, but I really wish I could use an internal DNS.

Options
2019-06-06 16:06:42

Hi everyone,

I got word today we may have a solution for your issues with 1.3.0.  Please try this beta frimware and let us know how it works for you.

Download link of the beta firmware: http://support.tp-link.com/f/0166c1e7af/?dl=1

Note: The download link contains a package of files, including the beta firmware, the manual upgrade tool and the upgrade instruction. 

Please unzip the downloaded file, and then update Deco according to the upgrade instruction in it.

Options
2019-06-07 03:39:58

Carl wrote

Hi everyone,

I got word today we may have a solution for your issues with 1.3.0.  Please try this beta frimware and let us know how it works for you.

Download link of the beta firmware: http://support.tp-link.com/f/0166c1e7af/?dl=1

Note: The download link contains a package of files, including the beta firmware, the manual upgrade tool and the upgrade instruction. 

Please unzip the downloaded file, and then update Deco according to the upgrade instruction in it.

Link isn't working

Options