iPhones suddenly will not connect to Archer C4000 router - says incorrect PW...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-25 20:39:38
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20180322 rel.2657(5553)

I noticed the other day that my wireless connection to my router with my iPhone was spotty, so today I finally had time so I restarted the cable modem and the C4000.  Since I did so, we cannot connect with our iPhones anymore, it keeps saying that the PW is incorrect, but that is not possible.  I have verified the password is correct in the admin tool, and I can connect via my laptop, although it appears to be a weak connection event though I am sitting right next to it. 

The hardwire router functionality works fine, I can connect via Ethernet and all of my hardwired devices work fine.  Just cannot connect with iPhones.  I have had to set up another old router to get wireless devices working for now.  

I have reloaded the firmware, restarted everything numerous times, but it did nothing, the issue remains.  I have had this router since late October 2018, and it has been flawless up until now.  Disappointed that I am having these issues...

Can I get an older version of the firmware to see if that will fix the problem?  I cannot find older versions on the support website.  

Options
35 Reply
Re:iPhones suddenly will not connect to Archer C4000 router - says incorrect PW...
2019-05-29 01:00:40

@-G- 

The firmware you are currently using is actually the first release firmware for the Archer C4000.  As such nothing on the router side should have happened recently.  A few things to look at.  Were there any updates recently preformed on your iPhones?  What type of encryption are you using.  We and Apple recommend WPA2 and AES encryption.  Have you tried to foget the network on the phones and reconnect?  Have you tried to changed the network name or password and finally have your attempted to reset the router and reconfigure it.  Please let us know so we can help isolate the problem. 

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:iPhones suddenly will not connect to Archer C4000 router - says incorrect PW...
2019-05-29 02:12:35

Hi Carl - thanks so much for the reply.  In regard to your suggestions, there have not been any iPhone updates made recently on any of the devices except one.  That one I updated yesterday to the latest version to see if that would help, but there was no change.  I am using the WPA2 Personal (recommended), I have tried forgetting the network on the phones and reconnecting, unfortunately it did not help.  I have tried changing the network password, that was one of the first things I did, but also did not work.  I can try changing the network name next.  Lastly, I have not tried the reset the router and reconfigure, that was going to be my last resort.  I should add that it I confirmed it is not just the iPhones, it is any wireless device.  I was able to get temporarily connected with a Windows laptop, but it dropped shortly after.  

Could there be a simple, easy setting that got inadvertently changed that I should look for?  Otherwise I can try resetting and setting up from scratch as a last resort.  Thank you again for your assistance.  

Brian

Options
Re:Re:Re:iPhones suddenly will not connect to Archer C4000 router - says incorrect PW...
2019-05-29 15:40:33

@-G- 

Brian,

There are a few instances where we will see an issue like this.  A setting gets changed, There is another AP broadcasting the same SSID but has a different password, or a software or hardware failure.  

A setting issue is hard to track unless you know the changes that were made.  For most customers a Hard Reset would be needed to clear any unintentional changes. For issues with another AP, this typically happens if a network name is reused when replacing a router or if another device was left powered up.  You will think your device is trying to connect to one AP but its trying to connect to another. If the password was differnt on the other AP this issue will occur.  The best way to resolve this issue is to change the network name to something different even if its adding or removing a character.  If all else fails reflashing the Firmware to the latest version (in this case the only Firmware) should fix most software issues,  If everything else above fails then we have two options 1.  go dirrectly with a precautionary RMA, or two Email our software development team to see if there is a beta  firmware that can be provided. 

Best Regards  

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:iPhones suddenly will not connect to Archer C4000 router - says incorrect PW...
2019-05-29 22:22:03

Hi Carl - last night I wiped out the router with a hard reset and it is still doing the same thing.  I will try one more time, but if this does not work what are my next steps?  Should I exchange for a new one or ?  

We have had some storms in the area in the last couple of weeks, not sure if that would have anything to with it or not though, because it still works from a hardwired standpoint.  

Thanks

Brian

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:iPhones suddenly will not connect to Archer C4000 router - says incorrect PW...
2019-05-31 00:34:52

@-G- 

Hi Brian,  Yes if the storms cause issues with power such as black or brown outs. Anything that causes a fluctuation or surge can damage an electical device.  We always recomend using a surge protector.  Usually though its the power that is affected and not the wireless components.  If the hard reset does not help we would be happy to issue a replacement.  If the replacement has the same issue then we would at that point need to evalutate the enivorment and or have our testing engineer assist in further troubleshooting. 

Best Regards 

Carl 

Options
Re:iPhones suddenly will not connect to Archer C4000 router - says incorrect PW...
2019-05-31 18:57:33

Hi Carl, 

I do not think we lost power from any of the storms, and I do use a surge protector, so I do not think this is the issue.  Did the hard reset and it still does not work, so it must be a hardware failure with the wireless radio.  How soon can you send a new router?  

Brian

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:iPhones suddenly will not connect to Archer C4000 router - says incorrect PW...
2019-05-31 20:16:53

I have the same problem. Certain devices get an error that the password is incorrect. Other devices using the same exact password can connect no problem. It seems arbitrary whether they are cell phones or laptops or desktops. Please let me know what I can do to resolve the issue.

Options
2019-05-31 23:02:31

I,m having the same problem, started a few days ago. could use some help.

Options
2019-05-31 23:43:34

Thanks all.  It is odd that 3 of us are experiencing this around the same time, mine started a few days ago also, and it would be highly coincidental to be a hardware issue.  Seems like some kind of update might have been applied.

Options
2019-06-01 00:54:31

Hi everyone,  

Thank you for letting us know that this is not just isolated to one user.  Because of this I have forwarded this thread and the content in it to our system enigneering team.  Once i have a followup i will let all of you know.

Best Regards 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8348

Replies: 35