Votes

Trigger Alexa Routines With Motion or Person Detection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-25 21:35:03

Hi,

I would love it if TP-Link Kasa Smart supported the Amazon Alexa Person/Motion Detection API that lets it trigger routines. For example, with Ring or August, if it detects motion, it can link up with Alexa, and Alexa can run the routine to announce on the Echos or turn on Hue lights. See the info on the API from Amazon here https://forums.developer.amazon.com/articles/206950/enhance-the-smart-home-camera-experience-with-pers.html

I've noticed in several reviews on the Kasa Cameras, is that they don't fully support the smart integrations of other ecosystems.

https://homealarmreport.com/security-cameras/cameras-work-amazon-alexa/

"The TP-LINK Kasa Alexa only offers camera features exclusive to Alexa devices with a screen. More specifically, you can watch live videos and review the latest event recording"

Options
21 Reply
Re:Trigger Alexa Routines With Motion or Person Detection
2019-05-29 17:38:55

@jhtrico1850 

Thanks for the suggestion.  We will share this with the development team.

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Trigger Alexa Routines With Motion or Person Detection
2019-07-07 11:12:58

I would buy 3 cameras today if it had this integration. I like the Kasa Lights and am interested in tying in the outdoor cameras. But, only if I can trigger routines with Alexa based on motion from the cameras.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Trigger Alexa Routines With Motion or Person Detection
2019-07-07 14:04:59
TP-Link Kasa is known as being 1 of the few brands that works with everyone, it would be nice if they would fully take advantage of partner features, especially because they’ve been late with their own version. Kasa Smart Actions was supposed to be released in the first half of this year, but it’s nowhere to be seen, along with a lot of things announced at CES.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Trigger Alexa Routines With Motion or Person Detection
2019-07-11 00:09:31

@jhtrico1850 

The upgrade to Smart Actions should be available soon.  We are waiting for final confrimation from the development team.  Once they have verified it the feature will be added to the Kasa App in the next update after the confrimination. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Trigger Alexa Routines With Motion or Person Detection
2019-07-11 02:15:19

Excellent!!! Thank you for the update :) I’m loving my light switches. Can’t wait for the Alexa update so I can buy and integrate the cameras.

Options
2019-07-17 18:00:14

https://kb.arlo.com/000062277/How-do-I-trigger-an-Amazon-Alexa-device-when-motion-is-detected-on-my-Arlo-camera
This is Arlo's implementation. Hope to see something similar from TP-Link Kasa :)

Your Alexa enabled device can make an announcement or trigger a third-party Smart Home device when motion is detected on one of your Arlo cameras. For example, if motion is detected at your front door, Alexa can activate smart lights to turn on.

Your Amazon Alexa device can do these things when motion is detected on an Arlo camera:

• Make an announcement
  • Trigger another Smart Home device
Options
2019-12-17 05:22:34

@Carl any updates on this? Smart Actions are out but as of yet quite limited. Would be great to see shortcuts and deeper IFTT integration as well. I'm a huge fan of your ecosystem, with these little pieces it would be second to none.

Options
2019-12-18 20:09:11

@Brick24 

Noithing yet.  I anticipate more functions will be added middle to late Q1 of 2020.

Options
2019-12-29 03:23:02
Yup...I had Kasa Cam given to me for Xmas and it is going back because i spent the whole day trying to see if I could make it talk to anyone else via IFTTT or google Home or ??? I have a Smartthings hub and at least other devices integrate thru IFTTT. I can't even turn on a light bulb when this camera detects motion. So it is of no value to me at all. Sad because the quality of the video is great although the mic is overly sensitive and the audio is always distorted on the recordings or when watching live. Camera was easy to set up and being able to set motion detection zones is great. I also tried casting the live feed to my Nvidia Shield and that failed also. I get the initial splash screen and then the little wheel just spins forever until I give up.
Options
2020-02-18 23:00:00

@El_Lobo 

Kasa Cams intentionally were left out of Google, Alexa and IFTTT intergration.  This is for security puropses.  The only command that a Google Hub or Alexa show device can do with our cameras is cast the live stream.  You mention turning on a bulb with the smart camera and that is possible through smart actions built into the Kasa App but does require Kasa branded devices such as the HS200 or KL130.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 8392

Replies: 21

Voters 2