Votes

4 way switch

Votes

4 way switch

123 Reply
Re:4 way switch
2022-07-06 20:26:21

@septer012 

I was able to "smartify" my 5 way switch by simply replacing the "line" end of the circuit with a Kasa 3 way and that was it. The "other end" of the circuit didn't have a neutral wire in the box, so I had to leave the dumb 3 way switch on that end and the dumb 4 ways in the middle.  The lights come on and off with any switch.  And I can tell Alexa to turn the lights on and/or off.   I don't know if I can make it work with a 3 way dimmer, but I didn't need to dim these lights anyway.   It was a very simple and elegant solution.  However, it does mean that there are still "old style" switches mixed with smart switches which may bother some folks.  Just not me.  

In fact, if you aren't setting up a 3 way dimmer (which I have in several other locations), you don't need to swap out both switches.  You can leave one "dumb" and the smart switch will control the light from a wifi perspective.  Or you can simply flip the switch on either end to "manually" turn the light on/off.   This can save money by using only half the number of smart switches than you think you might need.  

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:4 way switch
2022-07-08 14:16:11
I tried exactly this, but with a KS230 (3-way dimmer) kit. Would it be expected to work the same way? (it did not work, but works fine when I remove the 4-way in the middle and pass through the travelers instead).
Options
2022-07-08 15:55:34

@DavidDoria 

I've found that the 3 Way Dimmers don't work the same way (unfortunately).  I did replace a 4 way circuit in my house with a 3 way Dimmer kit (the KS 230), but "killing" the 4 way switch.  I bypassed it like you mentioned, which worked fine.  I think the dimming capability requires and actual dimmer switch at every location (maybe just so you can dim from either place).  Using the combo 3 way smart switch with "dumb" 3 way and 4 way switches only works if they are all just "boolean" switchs (on or off).   At least that's been my experience.  

Options
2022-07-22 17:13:01

@NevHuntre Same here, we were trying to install dimmers in the 4 way setup, but could not get it to work (had an electrician here experimenting but they could not figure it out unfortunately). 

Options
2022-08-14 03:01:55 - last edited 2022-08-14 03:02:21

I wish the KS230 would work in a 4-way.

Wasted 2 hours today trying to get it to work :(

Options
2022-12-19 02:09:26

I was inspired by @PatchyFog's awesome video and set up a similar test bed to try some ideas on the 4-way with dimmer configuration. I was surprised to find a relatively easy solution. The KS230 kits come with one master and one satellite device. It's clear that the traveler 2 wire is actually powering the load, as they are wired together. So traveler 1 must be how the switches communicate with each other. Since that communication has to be bi-directional, I assumed the internal electronics on traveler 1 are likely pretty robust and would be able to handle a third switch that could set or sense that line. So, I simply added a second satellite in series with the first and everything worked - all three switches could control the dimming and I could control the circuit using the app. Here's the configuration in order:

1. line

2. master - connections out on travelers 1 and 2, as well as neutral

3. satellite 1 - travelers 1 and 2 connected to switch and output, neutral pass through

4. satellite 2 - takes travelers 1 and 2 with load connected to traveler 2, neutral passes to load

5. load

Note this is essentially replacing the 4-way with a satellite where the input/output travelers are connected together. Unfortunately, I haven't found anywhere to just buy a satellite so you need to buy a second KS230 kit just to get the extra satellite. 4-way switches normally come at a high premium, so this doesn't seem too bad. This configuration could expand to multiple switches, but I don't know what the limitations are for the internal electronics.

Options
2022-12-19 23:46:35

@Rusalka68 - see https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/forum/topic/161800?replyId=1160712

Options
2022-12-29 22:41:17

I think everyone who is trying to hard-wire in a 4-way Kasa switch is missing the beauty of having "smart" switches.  I just created a 4-way using three Kasa 210 switches.  Here's how I did it.

In my upstairs hallway, I have a 3-way circuit with two of the 210 switches installed as designed / as the installation instructions tell you to. 

I also had a switch at the bottom of the stairs to turn on the upstairs hallway lights.  So when we're getting ready to go to bed and turning off lights on the first floor, we can turn on the upstairs hallway lights from the bottom of the stairs before we walk up the stairs.

With smart switches like these Kasa switches, and with the easy-to-use Kasa app, I don't need traveler wires.  I installed the third 210 switch at the bottom of the stairs and just connected it to power (black line), neutral (white), and ground (green/copper).  Then, I went into the Kasa app and set up smart actions so that when I turn the switch on at the bottom of the stairs, it turns on the upstairs hallway lights, and when I turn off the switch at the bottom of the stairs, it turns off the upstairs hallway lights.

9ff8ea87e76a412eb0a149a0eacdd421de5fa44e5da4422bab7f41cee6547d2d

Options
2022-12-30 02:12:28

@Blunoz are you able to get the smart actions to work without a delay? I haven't looked into it too much, but when I tried the smart actions there was a several second delay between hitting the switch and the light changing. The hardwiring is much faster - although still not instantaneous like a dumb switch. Also, this method works well when the wiring is already in the wall. I'd love to use the smart actions in other situations, but I can't stand the delay.

Options
2022-12-30 14:11:56

@ScottMan et al, Well, it didn't work out the first way I tried.  It initially worked, but then stopped.  I could operate the upstairs lights once from the bottom of the stairs, but then I would have to go upstairs and operate the lights from one of the upstairs light switches before it would work from the downstairs switch again.  It *WAS* doing it with zero delay though. 

Now, I've tried a new program.  I've created two smart actions.  One where I turn the foyer downstairs switch ON causes the upstairs lights to TOGGLE (if they're on, turn off, if they're off, turn on).  The second for when I turn the foyer downstairs swtich OFF also causes the upstairs lights to TOGGLE.  This appears to be working just fine.  I can do it on and off and on and off and on and off from downstairs and I don't have to go upstairs and operate any of those switches to reset it.  With that being said, there is now a delay.  I push the button at the bottom of the stairs and I have two wait about 2 seconds before the upstairs lights turn on or turn off.

New observation is I'm having some abnormal indications from the two wired 210s in the 3 way circuit upstairs.  The downstream 210 connected to the load works all the time no issues.  The upstream 210 connected to the line voltage works once, but then I have to go push the downstream switch to get it to reset and allow the upstream switch to work again.  I don't understand yet what's going on there.

It seems like the downstairs switch using a smart action is working to control upstairs via the WiFi is working just fine (although with a delay), but now I have an issue with the two wired switches upstairs.

2220acd4c58649429a21a17fca374457

Options

Voters 22

+ 18 Voters