Deco M9 Plus Horrible Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Plus Horrible Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus Horrible Speeds
2020-09-04 18:45:15

@matmatician 

Same here, mostly.

Two days ago, things started going really slow, from consistenct 100/100 at the slowest everywhere in my house. Now often I see speeds of 60/20, up to 250/250. But its also VERY erratic. I use some wifi analysis tools, and what I see is a number of "hidden networks" that have the same hardware address as the normal wifi deco's. I am pretty sure they are the wireless backhaul networks. However, the interesting thing is they used to be there all the time and stable. But now, they come and go, and new ones are created and removed. Again, they all share the HW address as the deco's, but when recreated they change the last letter. When they are down or changing seems to be when my speeds drop  the most. 

I'm guessing this is related to the speed issue. My unerstanding is these "hidden networks" are what manage sending data between the decos and help keep the roaming working and speeds of connected clients fast. I wonder of there's recent firmware update that caused this bug, or a slowely growing hw issue affecting these hidden networks stability? 

Anyway, I'm a #frustrateduser who just wants it to work. The Deco's are attractive, simple and easy to place. They are a super convient option for mesh, but the "ugly" lnksys and dlink options seem to be more reliable. I may have to switch, but TP-Link, please these are the perfect mesh wifi if they can just be reliable!!!

Options
2020-09-16 17:53:58

@matmatician 

Sharing some of my observations to see if it helps or matches with anyone else 

I used to have an old Linksys 3 antenna Wifi Router with Xfinity Modem. It used to work fine and for last 4 years no one in my family experienced

any wifi issues. We have approx 20 wifi devices connected.

I switched to M9 plus about 6 months ago to improve reception in the backyard hoping that a msh network would provide better coverage for a 2K Sqft home.

Setup was super easy and network was up in no time. I noticed that Wifi performance on Laptops and phones also improved ( Checking with Netflix "fast" App ) . 

All was well for about 6 weeks, when I experienced a slowdown in Wifi speeds. I ran speeed tests using Deco app on phone and it confimed that 

upstream speeed were same as before which pointed to the Wifi network. After restaarting the main unit, things became fast again. 

However, this seems to have become the norm now and I have to restart the main Deco unit every ~4 weeks. I also did a factory reset just to rule it out,

which made no difference. Also tried turning off all Firewalls, IDS, Malware protection etc, but it made no difference 

Iam running a M9 Plus with latest firmware build 1.2.12 Build 20191014 Rel 42025

Basically, Iam wondering If I should bring back my old Wifi router or get something different ( Nest or Orbi ). This is very frustrating.  

Thoughts ? Suggestions ? 

Options
2020-10-12 19:30:14

@midnite83 Technically, couldn't you setup different SSID's by band if you used the primary for 5ghz only and the guest network option for 2.4. 

midnite83 wrote

This is not a modem issue.  Connection speed between client and M9 AP is definately drop drastically as you move away from it.  Normally with my Tmobile Asus router I get 700Mbps connection with my laptop in the office.  I place the m9 at the same location and power off the old ap and setup m9 as AP I get only 200-300Mbps once it settle.  Initial connection will be 600Mbps but afterward it drop.  If I sit 7 fts away then I get 866.  THere no way to create addition network ID to setup seperate 2.4 and AC network.  End up return the setup and go back to my old setup with two Tmobile routers with one setup as Router and one as AP connect via ethernet.  These M9 also run hot.

Speed Range need to improve.

Need ability to create multiple Access Name.

Has the ability to use the backhaul channel to client connect if setup with ethernet backhaul.

Options
2020-12-03 22:05:42

Hey all,

I recently did some troubleshooting on this, and think I found a solution (at least one that works for me). Give this a shot and let me know if it works for you!

https://randomwindowstips.wordpress.com/2020/12/03/deco-m7-m9-slow-internet-speed-lan-wifi/

Thanks!

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus Horrible Speeds-Solution
2021-05-30 06:02:07 - last edited 2021-09-06 06:46:44

@matmatician 

I've been scouring the internet for solutions and found this

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2429/#:~:text=Try%20removing%20QoS%20settings%3A%20Deco,feature%20in%20the%20Deco%20app.

Copied from the link

3. Troubleshooting:

• Try removing QoS settings: Deco APP>>>QoS>>>(Set Application priority to Standard, Remove all high priority devices, set the Bandwidth to 1000Mbps upload and 1000Mbps download)
  • Try turning off the UPNP feature in the Deco app. ( If you can't find this feature in the Advanced menu, you may ignore this one. ) (Kindly note that some online games might not be able to connect after turning off UPNP on the Deco.)
  • Try downloading a Wi-Fi Analyzer Tool on your cellphone to check wireless channel interferences, crowded Wi-Fi channel will cause a severe performance decrease.

The first bullet fixed the issue for me. I had prioritized a few devices and that was causing the deco to downgrade the available speeds to all other devices. Hope this helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-06 00:18:14

@mAurelius 

Thank You mAurelius!!!!

I checked my QoS settings and they were still low from when I had Comcast cable internet.  I manually reset both to 1024 & now I'm getting all of the 300Mbps (both up & down) that I am paying for with my new AT&T fiber internet connection.

Thanks Again!

Options
2021-11-12 09:07:59

@Calvinx 

Thank's for the tip, it have worked perfectly for me.

Options
2022-03-22 16:11:45

@Calvinx Looking all over and this finally helped me. Thanks!

Options