Deco M9 and VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 and VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M9 and VPN
Deco M9 and VPN
2019-05-30 15:29:26

I am looking to set up the Deco M9 mesh wifi system in my home, and want to use a dedicated ip with it.  Can the units be flashed with ddwrt firmware to use the openvpn protocol?  If not, is there another way to set up the M9 to use a vpn?  Thank you.

Options
26 Reply
Re:Deco M9 and VPN
2019-05-31 00:04:49

@ja2019 

We can answer a bit of this but need a bit more information for the rest.

1.  The Deco product line cannot be flashed to custom firmwares such as DDWRT.

2.  The Deco can act as VPN passthrough, able to passthrough IPSec, PPTP and L2TP.

3.  Where we need a bit more information is your question about a Dedicated IP.  Are you referring to a Static IP provided by your ISP?  If so yes the Deco can work with ISPs that are Static, DHCP or PPPOE.

If not please provide more info so we can complete our answer. 

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Deco M9 and VPN
2019-05-31 14:57:55

As far as the dedicated ip goes, Im thinking of getting a streaming ip/dedicated ip from a 3rd party, setting it up on a router securely, using openvpn protocols.  Then adding a tri-band mesh wifi system to the router, so that the system is as secure as possible.  If I purchased an asus router that can be flashed with DD-WRT, and set up with openvpn, would that type of router work with your deco M9 system?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 and VPN
2019-05-31 21:28:20

@ja2019 

No not at this time.  However we do have several traditional style routers that do.  With the higher end have near as good or as good range coverage as the Deco.  For example our newest entry is the Archer AX6000.  This router is built on WiFi6 technology and has built in VPN Server features.  the VPN Server feature can be used with either OpenVPN or PPTP.  Also the rotuer will eventually be compatible with our forthcomming OneMesh techonolgy. With One Mesh you can combined any compatible router, range extender or powerline adpter kit to create a unified mesh network, Thus avoiding expesive overhauls of your network and network equipment. 

Options
2019-09-22 22:13:19

@Carl 

Will the Deco M9 plus work while connected to a VPN router? I am an American living in Germany, and am trying to have both the benefits of a VPN in order to watch Hulu, etc., passed through to a TP-link mesh Wifi system to enable the VPN connection to be passed throughout my entire home. Is this possible with any TP-Link Whole Home Mesh Wifi System? If not, do you have a recommendation to accomplish VPN and good wifi throughout the home?

Below is an example of what I am trying to do...

Modem/Router from ISP->Router with VPN-> Deco M9 plus (mesh wifi network passing VPN connection to all connected devices throughout home)

Thanks!

Options
2019-09-23 16:53:35

@GermanVPN 

The Deco M9 does not have server or client features at this time but it can passthrough VPN to client devices.  The VPN must be one of the following to be passthrough:

IPSec

PPTP

L2TP.

If you VPN router is using one of these three protocols then your client devices connected to the TP-Link Deco router should have no issues connecting. 

Best Regards 

Options
2019-10-04 19:58:19

@Carl I know that in the past, TP Link representatives on this board have said that VPN server capability for the M9 is in the plan. Is that still true, and if so, any updates?

Options
2019-10-05 00:27:59

@ImARealMesh 

From what we understand its in development, but not yet released.  How i understand it right now it will be much like our VPN server feature on our traditional routers where it works with PPTP and OpenVPN,  Once we have an exact word and confrimed details we will post a Official Annoucment for it.  I hope that will be soo.  

Best Regards 

Options
2019-12-09 03:21:48 - last edited 2019-12-09 03:22:10

Is there any update on vpn server capability?

Options
2020-02-26 14:11:54

@Carl 

Is it possible you report any progress for the openvpn server capability on Deco m9 plus?

Options
2020-04-06 21:57:59
Did you hear about tp-link supporting VPN on M9? - it is an echo from the future. - the disc flew away - these are great discs, great discs I tell you, VPN is also great, very great safety but is fake news... Just fake news, to bad, not great, just fake.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 18172

Replies: 26

Related Articles