HA100 Adapter, gain is really (ridiculously, un-usably) low, how to adjust?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-06 16:37:17 - last edited 2019-06-06 16:47:26
Model: HA100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: n/a

Anyone else trying to use this with a receiver?

I bought two of these a couple of months ago, to add google-mini's to a couple of places with receivers in our home.

I have to turn the amp volume (dbM) up almost 40 points, over say a CD player, just to hear anything over the HA100, gain-wise.

It's basically almost impossible to use like this, distortoin kicks in, before the audio gets loud enough, and I have a discrete Yamaha amp, it's not like it's "under powered".

If I accidentally flipped over to say the Tuner, or CD, I'd probably blow something, hopefully a fuse, but who knows, it's a LOT of sudden amps, that would need "clamping" at that "flip of the switch".

I think these were never designed for use with a receiver, mostly headsets and BT speakers?

I contacted support, trying to figure out which app might connect to the HA100, but they were lost, and barely even understood the concept of "gain", really.

I looked up the FCC filing for the device, and the specs for "Gain" were simply left "emtpy", weird.

Anyway, any suggestions are greatly appreciated, particualry given that my return window has expired, they were sort of low-pri GH locations, but now I'm really wishing I'd done them earlier...

Edit: I should say, that yeah, it'd be handy if Google (mini) had a separate volume (output) for Bluetooth, like many phones do, but it doesn't, not sure if they'll ever implement this.  My other devices (feedding the amp) are also "line level" though, and they work fine, without maxiing out the amp, just to be able to hear low audio.

The support person got REALLY hung up on this, kept asking me to increase the BT volume, on my phone, which took about 5 times, for me to explain that my BT signal  wasn't coming from a phone...

Options
4 Reply
Re:HA100 Adapter, gain is really (ridiculously, un-usably) low, how to adjust?
2019-06-06 18:34:54

@PGrey 

Our techs are versed in networking products, not audio that is why they were not understanding you when you were discuuing gain.  The HA100 was designed to stream music via bluetooth. from a smart phone or tabel to any stereo or stand-alone speaker.  If i understand correctly you have it paired to a Google Mini?  If that is the case part of the problem could be the driver in the google min, its not that big of a speaker so distortation is common at higher volume levels.  At least in my experiance with the device.  Also keep in mind because the HA100 operates on Bluetotth, and bluetooth is a wireless connection standard, a high power amplifers can gennerate a significant EM feild which can cause EMI that affects the operation of the device.  

If EMI is not the issue then it could possibly be the source volume.  If the source volume is not high enough the amplify volume will come in distroted.  Try turning up the volume on the source of the music and see what happens from there.

Best Regards  

Options
Re:Re:HA100 Adapter, gain is really (ridiculously, un-usably) low, how to adjust?
2019-06-06 21:37:01 - last edited 2019-06-06 21:39:54

@Carl Fair enough, so where does one go for the support, on the HA100?

My mini re-broadcasts fine, to a couple of "bluetooth-direct speakers" I have, all without turning the gain (volume) way up, it's a non-issue, they're LOUD/Clear, at various volume levels, I just tested two such devices, with the same Mini that the HA100 is paired to.

The HA100 however has such a low gain, that I have to turn BOTH the gain (volume) almost to MAX, AND the receiver (this is a 7x95w at VERY LOW THD discrete-amp receiver, for reference), and then I can sort of hear the news, or a response from my voice query.

If I forget to turn the Mini gain (volume) back down, it's VERY loud, when I disconnect the HA100, loud enough (and really, still pretty darn clear) to be heard several-rooms-over.

I get that the Mini should have a "separate" gain, for Bluetooth, or possibly for "command/response", that's a Google issue.

My bigger concern (or perhaps other) is that if I accidentally "flip over" to another source, such as the Tuner, I'm going to either blow something, and possibly my ear-drums, at the same time.

I really don't get why the gain is SO LOW, on the HA100, that it's basically unusable, on a receiver? 
I have tested two CD players now, and an MP3 player, they all work fine, feeding into the EXACT same stereo inputs, that the HA100 is on.

I'm open to ideas (as unfortunatley I can't return my two HA100 units, anymore, bad move on my part), even ones that involve opening up the units and adjusting something, I can figure that part out, if I know what to adjust...

Thanks.

Options
Re:Re:Re:HA100 Adapter, gain is really (ridiculously, un-usably) low, how to adjust?
2019-06-06 23:18:23

@PGrey 

My understanding is that the HA100 does not have an internal gain/volume but rather uses the source device to dertime the volume it presents to the speaker.  As with the support desk our exposure to this device has been very limited.  What I will do however is inform our software and design team of your concerns and see if they can supply a more detailed answer for you.

As soon as I have word I will let you know.

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:HA100 Adapter, gain is really (ridiculously, un-usably) low, how to adjust?
2019-06-08 00:34:54 - last edited 2019-06-08 00:39:12

Carl wrote

@PGrey 

My understanding is that the HA100 does not have an internal gain/volume but rather uses the source device to dertime the volume it presents to the speaker.  As with the support desk our exposure to this device has been very limited.  What I will do however is inform our software and design team of your concerns and see if they can supply a more detailed answer for you.

As soon as I have word I will let you know.

Best Regards 

@Carl Thanks, I appreciate your follow-through on this.

I get that it's probably a "low-volume" item, but it gets good reviews (scratch mine anyway, for use with a receiver), on most sites, and is listed in some "top 10 BT home-receivers", which is baffling to me now. 

I guess it means I'm one of the few who uses this with an actual "discrete receiver/amp", instead of a BT speaker/headset, directly...

I will 100% ammend my review (I mostly documented the gain-deltas, present in my testing, for my review), if there turns out to be a way to turn the gain up, to a reasonable level, for more "general use". 

I feel like I'm a reasonable, fair reviewer, as long as a product works, "as advertised", which this doesn't , currently, IMO.

I get, too, that TP-Link probably didn't mean to "deceive" anyone here, in advertising this for use with an amp/receiver, but it IS advertised as-such, on your sell-page...

I am (still) a big fan, of TP-Link networking products, in-general, I have several TP-Link edge-switches, as part of my home LAN, semi-managed, and for the most part, they work almost flawlesssly...
I had an older TP-Link SMB switch for my home-LAN "backbone" too, for some years, until it got a bit behind, tech-wise (spanning-tree and such never worked quite like it was supposed to, but it was good enough, for a lot of years...).

Anyway, thanks again, I look forward to any updates, and/or progress here.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2252

Replies: 4