How to configure TL-WR840N to a full bridge mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-15 08:30:19
Model: TL-WR840N  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version:

My daughter manages a lodge in the bush in Zambia. Their guests have internet access via wifi. They make an username and password for each guest arriving. One of the luxury cabins was to remote for a good wifi signal. So they placed an UTP cable all the way to the cabin and want to install a TL-WR840N router there. The question is what mode is needed and how to configure it. It needs to be a complete a pass through network to the original router, such that the users need to get to the normal login screen of the original router the TL-WR840N is connected to. I assume it is WISP mode, Correct? And how do I configure this to make it completely transparent?  Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to configure TL-WR840N to a full bridge mode
2019-06-17 18:43:54

@Geedsen 

The easiest thing to do is put the router into AP mode.  This will have the router be soley a passthrough wireless access device.  Customize the SSID and that is all you will need to do.  

Options
2020-06-03 21:02:42

@Carl Hi, Carl. I seem to encounter the same kind of problem as the other user. In my case, however, I do need my TL-WR940N to work in full bridge mode. The reason being, my ISP provides me with a 300Mbps connection, but the modem/router they provided me only goes as much as 150. Because of COVID-19, they can't send over a new modem, and they have told me to configure mynew TL-WR940N to work in full bridge mode so as to "bypass" the modem and make use of the 300Mbps connection. From what I can gather, that wouldn't be possible with an AP setting. Is there any way to make it work? Bridge mode is nowhere to be found on the router GUI.
Thanks in advance!

Options
2020-06-04 17:16:59

@ulisesmakana 

That doesn't make sense if you are trying to bypass the modem, i assume it is a gateway modem/router combo then you would put that device in bridge mode.  The router itself can only be an AP or a Router.  2nd you will not get 300 Mbps from the TL-WR940N no matter what you do.  The router only has Fast Ethernet ports so the speed is limited to 100 Mbps max.  We would recommend an Archer A6 to get speeds above 100 Mbps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 14759

Replies: 3