Deco M9 Plus USB port doesn't work for connecting a hard drive? Wanted to use Apple Time Machine...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Plus USB port doesn't work for connecting a hard drive? Wanted to use Apple Time Machine...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-24 02:03:49
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.8.6

Am I missing something? What's the point have having the USB port if I can't access drives that are plugged into it? I ditched my Apple Time Capsule set up in favor of the M9 set up (with 3 M9's) with the assumption that I'd just be able to plug in an external hard drive to one of the Deco's to set up my Time Machine backups.

What are you guys doing for back ups short of manually plugging in to an external drive everytime you want to do a backup?

I would love some advice. Thanks!

Options
30 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus USB port doesn't work for connecting a hard drive? Wanted to use Apple Time Machine...
2019-06-24 18:23:03

@Baron 

There are no plans to have the USB port to work with external USB drives. The USB port can only be used for a charging port.

Options
Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus USB port doesn't work for connecting a hard drive? Wanted to use Apple Time Machine...
2019-06-24 18:40:56

That's disapointing. I wish I had researched this more before I purchased the system.  I would've got something else that has that functionality. I may even return this thing if I can stomach having to re-pair my million wifi devices...

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus USB port doesn't work for connecting a hard drive? Wanted to use Apple Time Machine...
2019-07-10 02:39:16
Or just hang a cheap IP assignable NAS off the ETH port. IE rasperry PI
Michael Schaffer
Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus USB port doesn't work for connecting a hard drive? Wanted to use Apple Time Machine...
2020-01-26 13:00:00

I'm very supprised to hear the usb is only for charging only. Is there a place where we can add a feature request? Most good routers provide this funtionality. I'm would hope it's possible. Thanks

Tony wrote

@Baron 

There are no plans to have the USB port to work with external USB drives. The USB port can only be used for a charging port.

.@Tony

Options
2020-01-27 19:19:39

@VinceF 

I had hoped myself too, but it looks pretty set in stone that there will not be that feature.

Options
2020-04-10 15:42:01

I'm with @VinceF on this. TP should add this important piece of information on all product descriptions! 

Even if I still would have bought TP, I may have chosen a different model, had I known!

Options
2020-04-15 19:44:05

@Tony I'm with everyone else on this. To have a "charging port" on the Deco is silly; most people will have it sitting quietly in a closet, and no one's going to want to plug into it. I totally assumed that it would have functionality to run a backup hard drive. I'd guess that was the original plan but then something got hung up. 

Options
2020-04-16 16:11:12

@CorvusMagnus it think the code is open source. Look at 3rd party firmware like DD-Wrt.

Options
2020-04-26 23:13:50
The USB port on the m9 could be also used to plug in a cellular network accessory that if the main connection fails, can be used as a backup! Tp-link please add this feature!
Options
2020-05-08 03:23:22

@Baron I have just done the same, bought the M9 solution to replace my Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme system. Will be installing today but my thought was just to use Ethernet cable to link my Time Capsule to one of my M9s and just turn off the wireless on the Time Capsule. Should still be seen as a network based drive and Macs will see the Time Capsule as they are all on the same network anyway.

Baron wrote

Am I missing something? What's the point have having the USB port if I can't access drives that are plugged into it? I ditched my Apple Time Capsule set up in favor of the M9 set up (with 3 M9's) with the assumption that I'd just be able to plug in an external hard drive to one of the Deco's to set up my Time Machine backups.

What are you guys doing for back ups short of manually plugging in to an external drive everytime you want to do a backup?

I would love some advice. Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 10

Views: 24476

Replies: 30