Archer A9 AC1900 - VLAN Trucking, Range extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-24 17:33:53
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.99 Build 20190515 rel.67448

I recently purchased an Archer A9 AC1900 (model selection is not available in this forum as yet; selected Archer C9 AC1900 as closed approximate).

Existing conditions:

1) I have exiting router on upper floor (connected to WAN) and only one LAN cable (VLAN 600 and VLAN 2 trunked) to lower floor. This new router (Archer A9) is to be placed on lower floor.

2) Connecting to this device on lower floor is IPTV Box (VLAN 600; Unifi Malaysia), TV set, PC, and various wifi capable devices (TV, PC , and wifi connected via VLAN 2 configured from router on upper floor).

3) The router on upper floor has a gateway address of 192.168.2.1 and has a DHCP server to serve to the devices (including NAS) on upper floor.

4) The Archer A9, currently has a gateway address of 192.168.0.1 and hence the devices on lower floor cannot be connected to the NAS (and other devices) on upper floor.

Is there a way for me to use the DHCP server on upper floor to do all the IP address assignment (maintaining the VLAN trunking) so that my PC, TV and other devices are able to access to the NAS on UPPER floor?

Thank you.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer A9 AC1900 - VLAN Trucking, Range extender
2019-06-24 19:16:38

@SooooLoooong 

In order to have another device take over DHCP, there are two ways you can do it.

First, would be to log into the TP-Link router > Advanced > Operation Mode > Select Access Point.

The other way (while the A9 is in router mode) is to assign a static IP to the TP-Link router so it is on the same network segment. Next, disable the DHCP Server (Advanced > Network > DHCP Server, uncheck and Save). Once that is done, remove the Ethernet cable from the WAN port and connect it to any of the LAN ports. Now, anything else connected to the LAN and or Wi-Fi will get an IP address from the router the TP-Link is wired too.

Here is a old article that shows how to do it, the UI is different, but steps are pretty much the same: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/417/

Options
Re:Re:Archer A9 AC1900 - VLAN Trucking, Range extender
2019-06-25 12:45:09

Thank you @Tony. Will try out and revert tomorrow. Appreciate your advise.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2777

Replies: 2

Related Articles