existing modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

existing modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
existing modem
existing modem
2019-06-25 16:30:48
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have not installed this yet and would first like an explanation for what I hope is a minor point.

One reads that it connects to your 'existing modem'. My service provider is Cox and I have an Arris TG1682 Panoramic modem/router. It has DHCP and multicast DNS so it is a router and not just a modem.

If I turn off the wireless radio in the Arris, can I connect the Deco M4 to it? Or do I have to abandon the Arris and get a pure cable modem?

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Reply
Re:existing modem
2019-06-25 17:54:09

@nedman47 

There are two ways you can use this with the Deco M4.  

1.  Disable the Arris Wireless like you stated and then put the Deco M4 into AP mode.  This will disable the M4's router features and have it operate soley as a MESH AP for the Arris.

2.  Disable the router features in the Arris and only use its modem features.  This will allow you to take full advantage of the router and its features.  

BTW you may be paying a rental fee for that modem/router so it might be a good idea to buy a standalone device.  It usually will save money in the long term. 

Best Regards 

Options