Votes

Feature Request: WAN failover

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-27 03:02:55 - last edited 2019-06-27 16:17:03
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Noticed that the Archer C4000 allowed for WAN aggregation on Lan1 port.

Would be AWESOME if firmware could be updated to allow for Lan1 to be used as a failover port.

Use case:

Typical homeowner -- have a few IP cameras, etc -- need high availability.

On the rare occassion that ISP service goes down, would like to add a 4G LTE modem w/ethernet as a WAN2 for failover.   Would be even better if certain services (i.e. Netflix, etc) could be blocked so household users would not be able to gobble up data too fast.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Feature Request: WAN failover
2019-06-27 16:22:51

@meestermike 

We can defiantly suggest it, however this would be outside the scope of a Home product.  So you know we do have Business class multi-wan router specifically desgined for this setup.  

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Feature Request: WAN failover
2019-06-27 16:43:14

@Carl 

I humbly disagree! (about home vs business)

Many modern homeowners want the peace of mind of high availability internet.  

I do not have a home based business but if I did, it would be even more critical.

I view this as an emerging and underserved market.

I am aware of the TP link products you inferred (TL-R470T+/480T+, etc) — if I were to go that route, I would have to use the C4000 as a downline AP and would also lose the main benefits of TP-Link Homecare (antivirus/quarantine, QoS, Access/Parental Controls, etc).

In the end, the ability to fail over to a backup ISP and restrict high-bandwidth services (Netflix, etc) is likely to be one of the next big premium router features in the (near) future.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Feature Request: WAN failover
2019-06-28 23:53:35

@meestermike 

There are a few reasons why I say its out of the products scope.   For starters WAN aggregation isn't truly two seperate WAN ports.  Its two phyiscal ports mad into a single logical WAN port.  In fact in some of our newer models we have stepped away from this and just gave the product a 2.5Gbps WAN port, so a customer doesn't have to give up a valuable switchport just to ensure they get the speed they are paying for.  

Also consider this.  There are very few homeowners who would be willing to pay for two seperate ISPs just to have fail over or even load balancing capabliities.  This would also require a signficant change to the software the home router runs.  If there was a market for this we would deffiantly have a foot in the door so to speak but in this case unless there is a significant demand its not likely as it would be too niche a market.  

If it ever does happen it will likely be on equipment built for this specific purpose, as the chipset running the device would have to support such features.

We will forward up though, because you never know, as ISPs get cheaper and faster the need for a back up may come up.

Options
2020-05-13 22:57:25

@meestermike I'm in the same boat. My wife and I work from home, as I wager more and more people will be doing now a-days, and need a back-up ISP. I purchased a 4G LTE modem with built-in failover thinking it would easily work with my Archer C4000 but I suspect the router does not like the static IP provided by my main/wired ISP vs. the dynamic IP provided by my wireless 4G ISP. But would love any input on how to acomplish this continuity problem.

Options
2020-05-29 14:40:59

@meestermike I don't think a request for such a featur would be unresonable for a Home product. We live now in an increasingly online world. People have cameras at home to keep watch on kids and helpers & for security, Our appliances are connected, Much study work is now online. Not to mention SM & entertainment requirements. Many people would be happily pay for such a feature.

TP_Link would do good to consider this open mindedly.

Options
2020-12-05 17:04:03

@Carl 

Here for the same reason.  I pay for virgin internet, it goes down from time to time.  I work from home sometimes too.  Im happy to pay for a separate 4g internet as a failover, and have a wan failover port.  Tplink are missing the point.... People buy their very expensive gaming routers because they care about performance and features, there are a lot of people that want a good setup these days. 

Options
2020-12-07 18:48:03

@Phil1234 

Not much we can do about that I am afraid.  At least not on the home product side.  This is because home connections typically can only have one ISP delivered to the home at a time.  USB based backup requires software components and compatiblity that we do not currently offer in the US.  Manily because when we did have 3g/4g products here the comptaiblity was limited and broke everytime the ISPs updated the devices.  Your best be would be to have a 3g/4G hotspot and use it in times your internet goes down. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1310

Replies: 7

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.