One Router acting as access point to multiple networks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-30 11:04:04
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone,

I am an Automation Engineer in a manufacturing facility. There are multiple LANs here. I am interested in knowing whether it is possible to use a single router as an access point to multiple networks (since the router has multiple orange ethernet ports). 

Regards,

NeilM

Options
5 Reply
Re:One Router acting as access point to multiple networks
2019-07-01 17:00:31

@NeilM 

Not with a home product such as the Archer A7.  This is a one to one device in AP mode.  mulitple devices can connect to it but it will once connect to one LAN network.  What you are asking for would require a SMB switch, have each LAN setup and a seperate VLAN and the an SMB AP with Mulit-VLAN tagging.  

Options
Re:Re:One Router acting as access point to multiple networks
2019-07-01 21:13:43

Okay. Thank you.

Options
Re:Re:One Router acting as access point to multiple networks
2019-07-01 21:15:27

Okay. Thank you.

Options
2020-01-26 13:58:59

@NeilM This is an interesting idea...if you were looking to put something together...some sort of an octopus wifi hot spot with 8 different connections...You could buy a bunch of tl-wr902ac travel routers. They can run off USB power. You then buy an 8 port router and a standard wireless router. Set up the standard wifi router with a WAN connection to the 8 port bridge. Off the bridge you could have the 8 tl-wr902ac's each bridging a connection to a different wifi hot spot...With some very creative network IP distributions I bet you could work something out. Stack on some openWRT and you might have a pretty cool device. It would take a lot of patience to set up and manage distributions of static IP's but when you are done you should be able to direct connect to any device on the network (like a remot desktop) on a secure network...that sits behind the ROUTER in a dmz...Depending on what you wanted to do..Even if you were looking to wirelessly control multiple automated devices and what not. The whole thing could be disassembled from the retail cases and fit into a custom case. If you then distributed the 5g channels none of the channels would overlap or interefere...

Just a thought :)

Options
2020-01-27 11:22:02

@SenderName  I'll have to think about this. Interesting though. Thank you :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1114

Replies: 5