HS200 Switch Connectivity during install

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-11 15:34:18
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am slowly making my home smart. With several Kasa smart wifi plugs, I am now installing the switches. I have done three so far, but am noticing that I am having trouble during the installation with connectivity. I start off with my phone connected to 2.4ghz channel. I walk through the installationg steps and during the "wait" time of creating connection between my network and the switch, the Kasa software disables my 2.4ghz channel and the phone won't link back to it and installation can't be completed. On the other switches, the installation would complete, but I would have to reset my router to get the 2.4ghz to appear on my phone again in order to go on to the next install.

Wondered if anyone had tips or recommendations to this bug or suggestions for installing many more smart devices to avoid issues.

Thanks!

Options
8 Reply
Re:HS200 Switch Connectivity during install
2019-07-11 18:56:32

During the 1st part of the installation you are actually connected to the local wifi network generated by your HS200, same process as with the plugs and bulbs.  When you choose an network to bind your switch to, your phone will be disconnected from the default network as the switch configures to use the network you chose to bind it to.  This is likely why your phone is dropping the connecting.  The phone should revert back to your home network but if it doesn't just manually reconnect should fix the issue. 

Options
Re:Re:HS200 Switch Connectivity during install
2019-07-11 20:07:00

Carl, Thank you for yoru reply. As stated, I have installed plugs and installed the switches. I am aware of the process it takes to connect. My phone has to start on a wifi network, it then connects to the switch's network, and back again to the wifi network of the house. It is that third connection (back to my wifi) where it gives me trouble. Most of the switches installed fine. But I have to restart my router after every manual connection of a switch. This then makes all the smart things (plugs, doorbells, switches, speakers, tv's) I have, reconnect to to wifi (and sometimes they don't reconnect  on the 2.4!) There is one switch that is crashing my wifi 2.4 channel completely and I can't finish the installation. I have given up on that one and calling it defective.

I'm trying to get advice on the many smart devices I have and if TP link intended for a whole-home smart automation, did they think about the advice they need to give when it involves 30+ devices (Kasa only) to have a smart home and what issues they know about and how to avoid them? Now that I am up to 30 Kasa devices I am having issues. THe plugs did not give me issues. The switches work as switches, but the wifi connection is the issue with having to restart the router. It crashes the 2.4ghz network.  

Options
Re:Re:HS200 Switch Connectivity during install
2019-07-11 20:14:37
the problem is the manual reconnect doesn't work. I am stuck on the 5G channel with the 2.4 disabled until I reboot my router.
Options
Re:Re:Re:HS200 Switch Connectivity during install
2019-07-11 20:48:35

@Jenson5 

This could actually be a resource limitation.  All routers on the market have tethoretical maximum for devices connecting.  for example for a baisic N300 router from us you can aniticipate 16 devices to be able to connect through DHCP and wireless.  On our standard routers the theoretical limit is 32 and on our premimum routers that number is 64 per band.  This should be pretty common throughout all manufactures.  With this many Smart devices plus what ever other devices you have working on 2.4GHz you could simply be taxing the capablities of your router.  The best way to test is to remove a few devices temporarliy, power cycle to clear the DHCP lease times and then try to reconnect this switch.  If it works then you will know it is a resource issue.  If you have devices that can operate on either 2..4 or 5 we would recommend shifting those devices to 5Ghz.  If this is not possible a more powerfull router would be recommended.  

For TP-Link The Deco M5, P7 or M9 is a greate choice.  The M5 and M9 both also now feature Kasa intergration so you can control you Kasa Devices through the Deco App.

For a more traditional router,  The Archer C5400X or AX6000 would be your best bet. 

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:HS200 Switch Connectivity during install
2019-07-11 21:18:55

Thank you! I have a Netgear R8000 router. Suppose to be premium. If my smart devices aren't required to be on 2.4, I assign them to 5G. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:HS200 Switch Connectivity during install
2019-07-11 21:37:51

@Jenson5 

I did a quick search for this and found a KB article on netgear's site that stated NETGEAR home routers can accommodate up to 32 clients per wireless band. If your router is dual band, the total wireless clients your router can handle is 64.  So it does look like you may have a resource issue.  Before spending the money on a new router to accomidate all your device needs I would recommend contacting them to see if there is anything that can be done to expand the device coverage.  

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:HS200 Switch Connectivity during install
2019-07-11 21:46:35
Thank you so much! I'll reach there next and provide an update
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:HS200 Switch Connectivity during install
2020-10-02 23:55:58

@Jenson5 

I am having the exact same issue.

I have a newer router (Asus AC2600) vs an older Asus router, both are dual-band 2.4/5 capable.  I am no where near the theoretical limit of devices (5 smart switches/plugs and perhaps 10 computer/phone/tablet devices).  I get the same issue as you when trying to install on the newer router, but no issues on the older router.  

Did you ever successfully install it?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2162

Replies: 8