Adding wifi to powerline network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-20 21:14:07

I have a home network consisting of four AV500 Nano powerline adapters, models TL-PA4010, Ver. 1.1, which have worked flawlessly since being installed. I now want to add wifi to the network and am looking at the TP-Link units available. All of the two-piece kits have the same instruction: connect the router to the main unit, and then connect and pair the extender unit. I want to add the wifi units at a location in the house other than where the router is located. Must I connect the main unit to the router, or can I plug in the main unit at some other location/outlet and then join it and the extender to the existing network?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Adding wifi to powerline network
2019-07-22 17:11:17

@GeneG 

You will only ever need one powerline adapter wired to the router which you already have so you are good on that end.

When you get your wireless adapter kit plug each one into an outlet and see if the powerline light comes on, if so do not need to pair it. If the light is off, then you would hit the pair button on a powerline adapter currently working, and then hit the pair button on the new device.

You can look at the TL-WPA4220 KIT or the TL-WPA7510 KIT. The powerline network will set to the speed of the slowest powerline adapter on the network so if you get a TL-WPA8630 KIT AV1300 the entire AV speed will go down to AV500.

Options
Re:Re:Adding wifi to powerline network
2019-07-23 12:26:50

Good morning, Tony, and thanks. I had believed that all I had to do was plug in (and possibly pair) the new units, but I wasn't certain after reading all the info on extending the system. Thank you for clearing up that confusion!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1284

Replies: 2

Related Articles