OK for months, now Red

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

OK for months, now Red

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
OK for months, now Red
OK for months, now Red
2019-07-22 21:50:17
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Searching the forum was not productive.  Please forgive me if my question is "something everybody is supposed to know."

Have four PA9020P adapters installed for over a year.  Working fine.  Today, I realized some devices were off-line and discovered that all four Powerline units are showing RED LED's.  The tp-link utility connected to the primary unit will show only 1, then sometimes 2, and sometimes 3 adapters.  The fourth one has not appeared (yet).  No changes to electrical wiring.  No changes to anything that I can think of.

How do I fix this?  Should I go around to one after another and perform a "reset" until Powerline magically heals itself?  Should I unplug them all and start over?

Thanks

Options
14 Reply
Re:OK for months, now Red
2019-07-23 00:17:42

@CrimpOn 

A Red Powerline or homelink LED indicates a poor signal.  The main thing that causes signals to become poor is interference.  Interference can be caused by many things but the three main factors are,  Age of the physcial power line, Poor Insulation of the power Line, and devices connected to the power line, particularly major appliances.  The first thing to do is move the adapters into a different room and see if the indicator LED changes.  If not then move the adapters one at a time into the same room but in a different outlet as the main unit and then check the indicator LED if still red try updating the frmware or contact support as you might have a defective unit to replace.  As three units are doing the same thing that would seem unlikely though.  

Next thing to try would be to "filter" the noise out by pluging major electoric devices suchs as stereos, TV and computers and major applicances into surge protectors.  Keep in mind there is a difference between surge protectors and power strips.  One filters and protects that other does not.  

This would be where we would start.  

Options
Re:Re:OK for months, now Red
2019-07-23 00:24:42

Thanks for responding.  I am glad there is "somebody there."

I was able to resolve the issue (at least for now).  I noticed that only one of the four units would NEVER appear on the tp-link display.  So, I went to that unit (1) did a 'reset' by holding the sync button for 15 seconds until the LED's went out and only the power LED came back on, (2) did a fresh 'sync' by pressing the Sync button for 1 second, then dashing through the house to press the 'sync' button on another Powerline.  Now, all four units show green LED's.  The tp-link display shows all four of them.  And, the transmission rates look about the same as they always were.

This has been a learning experience for me.  There must have been something that messsed up my Powerline network, and I will probably never know what it was.  At least the next time I will give this a show before displaying my ignorance.

Options
Re:Re:Re:OK for months, now Red
2019-08-03 09:26:13

Hi!

I have the same issue with TL-PA9020P-KIT.

I have 2xV1 and 2xV3 TL-PA9020P-KITs.

They are working fine for example for two weeks and after some time 2 of them randomly have solid red led and tranfers are very slow. Sometimes I need to pair them one more time. I think it is not related to any interference in my AC network because if I restart main house AC power switch they are going to be green. So it looks like they are halted for some reason and only reboot helps them. I think it is firmware issue and need to be fixed.

When new firmware fo TL-PA9020P-KIT will be availiable ? It is one year without any update to TL-PA9020P-KIT firmware.

Options
2019-09-25 23:59:19

@CrimpOn 

I have this same issue.  From what I have found it is a firmware issue where the adpaters signal degrades on its own. It happens about every 2 to 4 weeks for me.

To fix it I open the T-PLC program, and go to settings.  From there I turn the LEDS off and on for each adpater, and the light goes from RED to Green and all the speeds go back up to normal.  If I encounter one that will not show up on the app, I just go to that one directly and run the app from that computer, or I bring a laptop to it.

From what I read in the past it a power saving issue where the devices would not come out of power saving correctly.  The latest firmware update was supposed to fix that, but apparently it did not.  Also, make sure you have power saving turned off in settings.

Hope this helps.

Options
2019-11-19 00:54:25

@CrimpOn 

Installed this product on Friday; it's now Tuesday (less than 4 days) and users complained they had no internet.  Turns out all three TL-PA9020P have red light.

What gives?  I now read there's no firmware fix for this? One more time and this product goes right back to the seller and replaced by NETGEAR PL1200s.

Options
2020-06-29 15:10:58

@CrimpOn 

I am having the same issues

I have 3 av2000 with v1 and 2 new ones with v4

to upgrade the firmware what are you supposed to select

Is it v1 firmware for the v1 plugs and v4 firmware for the v4 plugs

as daft as that reads why wouldnt all 5 plugs get v4 firmware ?

I have reset them, moved them and still cant get them to settle without the constant red or flashing red/green  

Options
2020-06-29 15:27:15
snap...this whole things is that infuriating I am pondering just running cable around the house and getting network switches per room as the powerlines are too unreliable
Options
2020-06-29 17:00:35

@CrimpOn 

I finally gave up on using four PA-9020's and repurposed my old WiFi router into a bridge to serve that location.  The remaining three adapters appear to be stable.  Not great, but "good enough for now."  I, also, am considering running ethernet cable around the outside of my house.

I have no doubt that "something" in my 55 year old wiring causes a condition that these units cannot recover from.  It might be anything (a lose wire nut or connection, some appliance or light that interacts somehow with something else, or something in the transformer feed).  Whatever it is, these PA-9020's simply cannot recover.  Once the link "goes down", it stays down.  Major bummer.

Options
2020-06-29 17:10:59

@UnWired 

You've literally had the same thought as me, I am considering ethernet round the house too, it's the drilling through the brick walls I don't look forward to

Wish tplink could explain the different versions v1 to v4 and if, why the suddenly stop working etc

Options
2020-11-18 21:06:08 - last edited 2020-11-18 21:06:51

@broadview @UnWired @CrimpOn 

Hi!

What version of hardware do you have? I have 2x v1 and 2x v3. Version 3 are stable. V1 has problem with solid Red Lights and disconnects. Unfortunately there is no firmware 180511 for v1 version only for v3 version. 

185011 changelog:

Modifications and Bug Fixes:
1. Enhanced the system stability and performance.

Notes:
1. For TL-PA9020P(EU_UK_AU) V3.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3696

Replies: 14