Rearranging Circuits

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Rearranging Circuits

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Rearranging Circuits
Rearranging Circuits
2019-07-26 01:09:38
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

I'm currently using 4 powerline adapters to get internet to my upstairs bedrooms, however, being on multiple circuits is killing the speeds.
Is rearranging the circuits on the the power circuit board a possibility that would help? I know nothing about electrical work, so I don't know how difficult this would be.

I have a 250mb/s plan, one of pc sees about 80mb/s the other two barely see 40mb/s.
If that option isn't viable, would using the wifi extenders that have ethernet out ports be better?

We would prefer not to have wires running along the walls if possible. Hence why I am not asking about relocation of the powerline adapters.

Another thing, it says do not plug the adapter into a powerstrip but is it okay to have the power strip plugged into the adapter (TL-PA9020P)?

Options
15 Reply
Re:Rearranging Circuits
2019-07-26 17:30:44

@TheExceed 

As far as i know its a very complicated and costly procedure to re-wire the circut board.  In your situation if speed and range are issues you may want to look into Deco Mesh as an alternative.  I believe it will solve both concerns for you.  Make sure if you do invest into Deco look for one with Gigabit ports.  

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Rearranging Circuits
2019-07-26 19:21:54 - last edited 2019-07-26 19:22:31

Can I have a Link for Deco Mesh? Would these work? We get pretty good wifi signal around the house. But how good is using wifi to ethernet? Is there data drop off?

@Carl 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Rearranging Circuits
2019-07-26 23:37:45

@TheExceed 

This link is for the Deco M5 3-Pack.  This should cover up to 5,500 Sq Feet and provide full speed wifi through all parts of the home.  Backhaul is wireless and ethernet if your house is wired for ethernet.  

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-Whole-Home-System/dp/B06WVCB862/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Deco+M5&qid=1564183961&s=gateway&sr=8-3

This link is the Deco P7.  Its basically a Deco M5 but with an added Powerline Backhaul.  

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-Powerline-Hybrid-System/dp/B07PS6X293/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Deco+P7&qid=1564184105&s=gateway&sr=8-2

For your question about the TL-WA855RE.  It is a single band wifi extender.  I would not recommend any extender if speed is a concern.  While they provide more coverage, they do not provide the same speed as being directly connected to the router.  This is true of all range extenders except the RE300, but only if its connected to a OneMesh enviroment.  If it is used as a regular range extender it would also fall subseptiable to the speed drop.  

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Rearranging Circuits
2019-07-27 01:00:32

@Carl 

Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it. I'm not entirely sure how mesh networks work. Are they similar to extenders and adapters where you connect them to the original router via WPS? If that's the case, how are they different from extenders? 

If that isn't the case, do those replace the original modem or does one of the mesh receivers get an ethernet input from the original router?

We have Xfinity, which uses cable cords to provide internet. (I don't know if most ISP's do this)

Lastly, how much much assurance can you provide that we won't have speed drop off (or minimal drop off)?

I ask because we have bought two of those extenders and 2 kits of the powerline adapters which was pretty costly already and Cannot return them as we are past the return date on Amazon.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Rearranging Circuits
2019-07-29 16:28:11

@Carl Still looking for answers to my last questions.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Rearranging Circuits
2019-07-29 23:37:00

@TheExceed 

Sorry we aren't in on the weekends and I am just getting to follow ups now.  Mesh network are basically interchanable routers that will clone the network settings and apply them to all "Node"  Where as PLC and REs are a 1 to 1 device Mesh networks have mulptle avenues to transmit data to your Main unit.  Another difference and advantage over REs is that it has mulitple backhauls and does not reduce the speed between nodes.  You should get the same speed from a remote node as you do the main one.  the backhauls are ethernet if your house is wired for it or Wireless.  Some models like the P7 even offer powerline as a backhaul.  

While every network is different i cannot give you an absolute that the speed will be better I can fairly say that the experaince will be much better than with Range Extenders.  

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Rearranging Circuits
2019-07-29 23:41:54

@Carl I appreciate it. My only issue is using powerline right now is not very effective. 

So wanted to make sure that a mess network would have fairly stable bandwidth and speeds VS. the bagillion circuits I currently jump with the powerline adapter.

Who should I contact in order to return the products I currently have? Or am I SOL?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Rearranging Circuits
2019-07-29 23:46:28

@TheExceed 

While I would love to be able to assist.  TP-Link does not do product exchanges.  For product returns you would need to reach out to the retailer you purchased from or if that is not an option possibly sell on a 2nd hand site like eBay.  

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Rearranging Circuits
2019-07-30 00:25:34

Carl wrote

@TheExceed 

While I would love to be able to assist.  TP-Link does not do product exchanges.  For product returns you would need to reach out to the retailer you purchased from or if that is not an option possibly sell on a 2nd hand site like eBay.  

Thank you again. My last question. What's the difference between m5 and m7? M7 has powerline. But as my issue is powerline rn would using the m5 be just as good? 

If so, I would just use the routers with ethernet cables running from one of the routers to my pc, right? Does one of them have to be plugged into the orginal router/modem?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Rearranging Circuits
2019-07-30 00:54:10

@TheExceed 

Sorry i must have missed that.  the difference between the M5 and the P7 is that the P7 also has powerline as a backhaul.  The M5 is just wireless and etherent.  Setup is easy.  The 1st unit you configure is your Base or Main unit.  It doesn't matter which unit it is as they are all interchangable.  This one connect to the Internet source as stays connected.  Ideally it would be your only router and connects dirrectly to a modem, if a gateway is used we recommend disabling that gateways router functions.  Then the rest of the units will be Remote nodes.  they will connect via wireless, ethernet if your house is wired for it or powerline(model dependedent).  Each unit has 2 Ethernet ports that can be connected to user devices or switches should you need more ports in that location.  The Base unit will use one port as a WAN port.  

Let me know if that answers that question.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1732

Replies: 15