Powerline connection from WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-06 11:53:29

I am living in a shared house and have no access to the router which provides internet to the building. There are wifi repeaters throughout the house (it is a large building over 4 floors) but the wifi signal in my room is quite inconsistent and very frustrating for me.

Is it possible to use some sort of wifi capable powerline adapter that is placed in near to one of the existing wifi repeaters which picks up the wireless signal and is able to transmit that as a powerline adapter. I have never seen a product like this and am not sure it is even exists, all my current powerline adapters need to be hard wired to the router to work.

I should add that the existing wifi extenders are a disc on the wall of a model i am not familiar with and i have no ability to interact with them.

My only other option is to buy a wifi extender and hope this fixes my problems.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Powerline connection from WiFi
2019-08-06 15:32:00

@BenF27 

For powerline adapters, one must be wired to a device that will provide it internet. In your case if you are not able to wire a powerline adapter to either the router or the range extenders, you will not be able to use the powerlines.

What you can try to do is to use a range extender, and rename the Wi-Fi so it is unique compared to all the others so your phone is not bouncing around if all the network names are the same.

You generally want to place the extender at the halfway point between the router and where you are, but the LED lights on it will tell you if you can move if further toward you.

Options