Replacing Google Fiber Network box with Deco M9 (+switch?)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-08 17:44:50
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently purchased the Deco M9 Plus to replace the built in WiFi that came with our Google Fiber Network box (router + wifi).  I have it set up in Access Point mode, but would like to use all the available functions.  While Google does not support the bypassing of the netowrk box for residentual customers, they allow it for commercial accounts.  There are various postings elsewhere discribing the requirements for bypassing the network box. 

The consensus seems to be that The fiber jack is looking for a VLAN tag = '2' and VLAN Priority = '3'

I have seen in the Advance options where I can change the VLAN tag, but I am not sure how(if) I can assign the VLAN Priority.  Is this possible?

The other work around seems to be adding a switch with managable ports between the fiber jack and the 3rd party router, but just seeing if it can all be done through the Deco before buying any additional hardware.

Options
12 Reply
Re:Replacing Google Fiber Network box with Deco M9 (+switch?)
2019-08-08 18:13:03

@cht417 

Here is a FAQ that we have which shows settings you can put for VLAN ID and internet VLAN priority: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2465/

Options
Re:Re:Replacing Google Fiber Network box with Deco M9 (+switch?)
2019-08-08 18:15:54
Thanks @Tony - I had searched the forums but hadn't come across that FAQ
Options
2019-08-08 18:39:35

@cht417 

Very welcome.

Were trying to get the FAQs from our main website over to the Knowledge Base. I will make sure to add that one.

Options
2019-08-09 14:36:14

@Tony - When I followed the FAQ you sent, I am not seeing an option to change the VLAN Priorty in the app for my Deco M9 Plus system.  I am using the Custom option.  Did this function get removed? 

Options
2019-08-09 17:25:34

@cht417 

So far from what I can gather the priority is available for the M4 and the M5. The M9 will be receiving a firmware update to give it the VLAN priority as well. I do not have a ETA, but trying to see if I can find one.

Options
2019-08-14 16:02:43

@cht417 

Looks like initial info is that a release could be out by next month or two. Things can change though and the schedule might change, but that's what I can find so far.

Options
2019-08-14 16:05:11

@Tony - I appreciate the follow up.  I'll keep using the system as I have it now in conjuction with the Google Fiber Network box, but will keep an eye out for the update in teh coming months.  Thanks again.

Options
2020-06-04 13:57:10

@cht417 Did the update ever happen?

Options
2020-06-09 21:55:20

@DMillsap I am also very much interested in ditching the network box. Getting my Deco this weekend and hope to figure it out without creating a doubleNAT.

Options
2020-06-09 21:58:17
Any updates?
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4140

Replies: 12