Range difference in RE220 vs RE305

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-10 20:57:07
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I wasn't able to track this down through online research so I figured I'd drop it here. 

I recently purchased the RE220 range extender and it has been ok, but has not extended the range quite as far as I had hoped. The house we live in is old with plaster walls and other challenging things. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the RE305 would have a better range with the external antennae. Can anyone shed any light? The speed isn't the concern as much as range. 

Thanks! 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Range difference in RE220 vs RE305
2019-08-12 19:00:00

@Dgamby 

The RE305 will have a bit better signal reception over the RE220 thanks to the external antennas, but other than that and a chasiss that have very similar features.  If you are dealing with a Wi-Fi absorbing enviroment, you might want to look into our WPA wireless powerline products as a viable option.  These would allow you to transmit your signal via the powerlines bypassing this type of interference.

With powerline there are a few caviets to understand though.

1.  both units the base at the router and the remote unit have to be connected to the same panel.  It can be different cricuts in the panel though.

2.  Each circuit hop from breaker to breaker will reduce the connection rate.  Much like every item a wireless signal goes through slows it down, but not to the same degree.

3.  Distance, a total distance of 300 meters between the adapters.

4.  age of the power line.  If the lines are old and insuffientely insulated you may see a bit of bleed off which will lower the connection rate. 

5.  Appliances.  Everything on the powerlines creates interference or noise.  Plug major appliaces and eletronics into surge protectors when ever possible to reduce this interference.  

Best Regards  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4147

Replies: 1