Will not turn off light - in a 4 gang box

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-03 18:06:40
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a 4 gang switch box that I am replacing 3 of the rocker switches with HS200 switches.  I have one main line coming from the breaker box.  I have started with just one smart switch and tested it and all went well fine until I tried to turn it off.  It will not turn off manally or through the app.  I suspect it may have something to do with sharing the three leads from the main line with the other switches but I am not sure.  I joined alll the switch locations to the main white lead, planning to install the switches to them.  On the one rocker switch I have the hot line going into ond out of the switch and then to the line leading to the light.  It works.  I split off the remaining hot leads to each switch location.  On my HS200 switch, both the black wires tie to the single hot lead and to the line going to the light.

If this thread is simular to another I apologize, but I searched conversations but did not see this particular problem.  Hoping the wisdom of the forum can set me straight!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Will not turn off light - in a 4 gang box
2019-09-04 00:00:16

@m151 

Hi.  If i understand correctly you are saying the two black wires on the back of the HS200 are splliced together to the same "hot" wire in the box, is that correct?  If that is correct then that is the issue.  HS200s require the load and the live wires to be seperate, most newe wiring setup are this way but some older wiring only had one live wire that handled load and live.  In these situations the HS200 cannot be used.   A seperate live, and load wire as well as a neutral wire must be used for the HS200 to work.  This means the only wire that is optional is the Ground. 

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Will not turn off light - in a 4 gang box
2019-09-05 01:32:22

Carl, thank you for the quick response.  I am checking out my rewiring options and will report back!

Options
Re:Will not turn off light - in a 4 gang box
2019-09-08 16:15:01

I was able to resolve the issue.  I made a mistake in splitting the hot lead between the 4 switches and the lights for my first attempt stayed on with or without the switch.  Having corrected the mistake I now have 4 smart switches and one paddle switch installed and working in the new gang box.

Thank you for your reply and support.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1870

Replies: 3

Related Articles