A20 USB Share question...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

A20 USB Share question...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:A20 USB Share question...
2019-09-24 23:16:39

Carl wrote

@IrvSp 

As for the SMB 1 issue.  We actually do support it and there is a way for you to re-enable on Windows 10.  

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-access-files-network-devices-using-smbv1-windows-10

This will re-enable SMB v1. 

Best Regards 

@Carl,

I know I need it enabled, did with Netgear Router as well. I just posted above why I need it.

Just a comment that using SMB1 is a security risk. MS and others basically say avoid it. MS even said to tell vendors if they require you to use it to switch to SMB3, but to use that, the WSD protocal even needs to be enabled.Netgear enabled SMB 3 in the router but never WSD. I fought with them for a year over it. First I had to report it, then I had to point to all the web pages that explained all this. They tried to close the problem report 3 times on me. Eventually I had NG's 3rd party support vendor use TeamViewer to get on my PC and I had at one point 3 ID's connected to me. They couldn't call me so we worked via NOTEPAD exchanging comments. Eventually they said they understood. 3 weeks late I got an answer, sorry, it is not in the Spec's to do that. I complained and was offered to buy back my router still in warranty. I looked and looked and didn't see any better alternative so I declined. Stupid me, I should have taken them up on the offer, little did I know 4 months later they remove the DLNA feature I use from the router.

Still, SMB 1 shouldn't be used. SMB 3 and WSD is a better way to share. However it seems the A20 might be using a Samba Server vs. a DLNA Server, but SMB 1 is still required.

Options
2019-09-25 21:40:00

@IrvSp 

Oh i undstand now.  I know we are rolling out SMB2 support to our router line up if its not already support by the A20 it should be soon.  I am not sure about WSD or SMB3 but i can inquire form ouur product team and get back to you.  

Options
2019-09-25 22:17:56

@Carl 

Carl wrote

@IrvSp 

Oh i undstand now.  I know we are rolling out SMB2 support to our router line up if its not already support by the A20 it should be soon.  I am not sure about WSD or SMB3 but i can inquire form ouur product team and get back to you.  

Carl, it is easy to tell. One PC just do a NET USE to a share on the router, then open POWERSHELL and run get-smbconnection. You will have the answer.

Here is what I find on the A20...

C:\>net use u: \\tp-share2\g\share      <my Sharename
The command completed successfully.

C:\>u:

U:\>dir
 Volume in drive U is G
 Volume Serial Number is 061B-373A

Directory of U:\

09/25/2019  06:00 PM    <DIR>          .
09/18/2019  07:13 PM    <DIR>          ..
09/25/2019  06:00 PM                10 query
09/25/2019  09:54 AM                 6 test1.txt
05/12/2018  01:18 PM    <DIR>          video
               2 File(s)             16 bytes
               3 Dir(s)  1,208,233,844,736 bytes free

U:\>cd video                                               <changed to the actual share

U:\video>powershell
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS U:\video> get-smbconnection                                                            <Ran the CMDLET

ServerName ShareName UserName          Credential                                       Dialect NumOpens
----------         ---------        --------               ----------                                           -------   -------
tp-share2      g                  IRV8700\irvsp  MicrosoftAccount\ixxx@cxxr.com       2.0.2      3

PS U:\video>

=============

The A20 is using SMB 2.0.2 it seems already. The root problem thought is the use of NETBIOS for sharing, not WSD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Services_for_Devices).

Options
2019-09-26 00:35:37

@IrvSp 

Tahnks I actually wasn't aware of that.  I don't use windows share so I am greatful for the information.  Learn something new everyday :-).  I will talk with our development team and see what can be done.  

Cheers

Options