Deco seems to be blocking some sites including one very specific IP?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-18 06:15:33 - last edited 2021-12-23 01:38:22
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

Ever since my router upgraded to 1.3.1, I've been seeing some weird internet behavior. Some websites (like the one I use to pay my gym membership) just won't connect at all. Some CDN services seem to be degraded (profile pictures on LinkedIn won't load, for example. Rest of the site works fine, just the images won't load). And I can't connect to League of Legends. I contacted their support, and they gave me the IP of a server to ping, and the ping just hits my router and dies. 100% packet loss. I don't have any parental controls set up, and I turned off all the antivirus stuff. Still can't get a connection. Was working fine before the update. 

What do I do?

File:
Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 12.13.25 AM.pngDownload
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco seems to be blocking some sites including one very specific IP?-Solution
2021-12-22 20:40:11 - last edited 2021-12-23 01:38:22

I know this is an old thread, but just worked with support and wanted to post the resoluiton.  I had 2 sites I could never get access, tired using Google's DNS settings, etc.  The solution was to clone the MAC address of one of your computers on the network to your router.  Once I did that I could access the sites that would previously time out.  Hope this helps someone down the road.  It's a frustrating issue to troubleshoot, but the support from TP-Link was fantastic.  They were super responsive.  Good luck!

Recommended Solution
Options
31 Reply
Re:Deco seems to be blocking some sites including one very specific IP?
2019-09-18 16:54:13

@rholdy 

Might have to do with the DNS servers being used.

Change the DNS servers: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1855/

Primary try: 8.8.8.8

Secondary try: 8.8.4.4

Options
2019-09-18 17:00:21

@Tony 

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the tip. Should have mentioned that I already tried changing the DNS servers to the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I've also tried a couple other public DNS servers with no luck. 

Options
2019-09-18 23:39:50

@rholdy 

What if you connect the computer with LoL directly into the modem?

If you happen to have other computers with LoL are they affected as well.

I have a M5 with 1.3.1, and was able to log into the launcher without issue. Where exactly does it not work for you?

Options
2019-09-26 03:20:02

@Tony 

Direct to Modem works. Through WiFi I can't get multiple computers to connect. I can take my laptop to work and connect via WiFi there. Or at my neighbors house with the same ISP. 

With League specifically, connection fails during the log in process. I enter a correct username and password and the spinning wheel spins for a couple of minutes (2-3) before displaying a "failed to login" error. If I type in a bogus username/password, login fails immediately and a "Wrong Credentials" message appears. So I'm able to hit the Auth server but not the "actually load the game" server. I contacted Riot support and they gave me a couple of IPs to ping using the Network Tools on my Mac and the first IP, as well as Google.com worked fine, but the other two IPs they gave me experienced significant packet loss. ~60% in one case and 100% in another. Signal hits the router and dies. I can switch my computer to use a mobile hotspot and ping all the servers successfully. 

While this connectivity problem isn't completely localized to just this one server, the LoL problem is just the most dramatic. Some other sites have experienced problems as well. For example, on Twitter, Media attached to tweets and profile images won't load on my home network. Tweets will load, but I can't see any pictures or video. Same thing with LinkedIn, I can read posts, send messages, and otherwise interact with the site, but profile images don't load. Its really bizzare. I can switch off my WiFi to a mobile hotspot and immediately get the images/media to load, but my router is blocking them. 

Options
2019-09-26 03:45:14

@rholdy 

I just completed a factory reset of my Deco network. Still faced with the same issues as before. 

Options
2019-09-30 17:24:33

@rholdy 

Is your laptop the only computer that you tested?

Have you tried others, even using your smart phone to access sites?

Options
2019-09-30 17:39:42

@Tony 

I've tested 3 laptops, 2 phones and a tablet. 

None of the devices can access the blocked sites while connected to WiFi. All of the devices can access all of the sites while connected directly to modem or through the phone's hotspot/cellular data. 

Options
2019-09-30 20:56:59 - last edited 2019-09-30 20:57:15

@rholdy 

There is a 1.3.6 firmware avialable (beta) for the M5, a version 1.3.7 (no ETA) is going to be released which will address a known issue of the 1.3.6 which has to do with a option in AP Mode. While in AP mode if you enable the option to isolate the clients from the main network, no clients could connect, in router mode it's fine.

If you would like I could send the beta firmware to see if that would help your issue. You can revert back to 1.3.1 easily. Upgrading or downgrading involves logging into the web GUI, and uploading the .bin file like you would a typical router.

Options
2019-10-01 16:59:48

@Tony 

That sounds great Tony. Send it over. I'm comfortable using the Web UI to update the firmware. 

Options
2019-10-03 15:46:29

@rholdy 

Look in your direct messages.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 11362

Replies: 31

Related Articles