How does powerline backhaul work on Deco P7?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-26 22:28:57 - last edited 2019-10-05 03:06:04
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20190704 Rel. 46693

I have purchased and installed the Deco P7 in a three-story home.  The power supplies for the three Deco units are plugged directly into the home outlets, one on each floor.  I found that the unit furthest away from the Main Deco experienced slower speeds and even dropped internet.  This was remedied by moving that Deco closer to the Main Deco.  I was under the impression that, once all Decos are online, they could be placed anywhere in the home and use powerline backhaul.  I'm not sure powerline backhaul is working at all in my case, and I don't see any tools to verify that.  Since this is a multi-story home, there are multiple breakers for different areas of the home so it's not possible to put all Decos on the same circuit.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How does powerline backhaul work on Deco P7?-Solution
2019-10-05 03:04:28 - last edited 2019-10-05 03:06:04

FYI - To everyone following this thread.  I gave up on Powerline backhaul.  It just doesn't work in the real world, contrary to the marketing for the Deco P7.  If you are considering the P7, just purchase the M5 or M9 (Or Google mesh or Orbi or just a router with wired APs).  

My solution was to purchase a pair of Motorola MM1000 MoCA adaptors.  These work over the existing coaxial cable wiring in my house.  The package comes with actual readable documentation and everything you need to set it up.  You'll need one for every location you want to have wired Ethernet.  I have a cable outlet in my basement and used a MoCA unit there to provide ethernet backhaul for the Deco unit. Works like a dream - like you're standing next to the main router.  Not sure if I'm going to hang onto the Decos or return them.  They have been pretty reliable so far, so there's that.

Recommended Solution
Options
23 Reply
Re:How does powerline backhaul work on Deco P7?
2019-09-26 23:35:53 - last edited 2020-07-21 21:31:33

@MarcH 

The P7s essentially have three ways for a backhaul: wirless, wired, and powerline.

What the system will do is choose the fastest route it has at that time so if the powerline connection is weak, wireless is what will be used.

You can see the signal source by opening your Deco app, tap on the internet icon (globe), then tap on one of the remote Deco units. In the middle to the right you will see what means that Deco is using to receive a connection or what backhaul it is using.

With a powerline connection it really is a matter of trying differnet outlet plugs to see which is the better connection, and in doing so, look at the power adapter plug that goes into the outlet. There is a little LED light. If the LED light is green, then that means your speed is greater then 50 Mbps. If the LED is red, it means the connection is less then 50 Mbps.

Options
2019-09-27 00:01:25

@Tony Thanks for the reply.  

Here's what I'm seeing: 

Main Deco (top floor):  Plug LED Green / Download speed 209Mbps (basically what I get thru ISP)

Second Deco (main floor):  Plug LED Green / Signal Source Wireless (2/3 bars) / Download speed 69Mbps  (and is below 50Mbps regularly)

Third Deco (basement):  Plug LED Green / Signal Source Wireless (2/3 bars) / Download speed 47 Mbps  (and has been as low as 20Mbps w/o using Powerline backhaul)

I've moved the units around a bit and in NO situation has the powerline backhaul been used.  It's as if I have units that are missing that capability.  What else should I try? 

Options
2019-09-27 02:28:48

@Tony 

Just did another test - moved all Decos into the same breaker circuit, plugged into three different outlets in a large room.  

Main Deco:  204 Mbps download

Second Deco (15 ft away) / on same circuit / signal source Wireless / 166 Mbps download

Third Deco (29 ft away) / on same circuit / signal source Wireless / 134 Mbps download

I don't think powerline backhaul works on these units, under any conditions!

I did run a test with an ethernet patch cable and wired backhaul does work.  However, this is not an option for my home.  

What else should I try, before returning the product?

Options
2019-09-27 18:46:55
I experience the same issue. Green LEDs on both plugs, still using WiFi as a backhaul. I get over 200Mb/s on the main deco and not even half on the other one (due to poor WiFi signal on the opposite side of my apartment). I bought P7 to avoid such issues and now I see I could buy cheaper M5 with same effect. Disappointing...
Options
2019-09-27 19:17:53

@lukaszstrz 

Yes, I am interested to see if we get support for this issue. But I agree, the decos behave as if we purchased the M5 unit.  

Options
2019-09-29 02:07:01
I have the same issue. Source is always listed as the wireless main Deco. Where/when would it state that power line backhaul is in effect? The LEDs are green. Tony, could you clarify this for the group? It seems the issue is ever present. Thanks:
Options
2019-09-30 08:32:22

@MarcH Same issue here. The whole point why I bought the P7 was that my exisiting mesh system had issues due to walls/ceilings. Doesnt seem to go on powerline ever. 

Options
2019-09-30 14:38:20

@Tony 

Based on this thread there are at least four new P7 purchasers with the same negative experience - powerline backhaul not functioning as advertised (correction, not functioning at all).  

I know this product is relatively new to the US.  Is there ANYONE using the product in this country who can share a successful use case for powerline backhaul on the P7?

Options
2019-09-30 18:06:41

Here is the information I was able to gather so far.

Currently the Deco app will not indicate if a powerline function is established. In a future firmware release that feature will be added. I have already inquired if there happens to be a ETA when that would be. Please note that there is currently a national holiday happening in China so as soon as I get new information I will be sure to update this matter.

Options
2019-09-30 20:47:07

@Tony Thanks.

But please understand the issue is bigger than just the app informing the user if PowerLine is active. This would be a nice feature but it seems as if this little green LED is already  telling us it is active. So that would not be a problem unless the company/support team is wrong about what the green LED actually means.

The bigger issue is that according to this little green LED we should have a 50 Mbps backhaul (at a minimum), yet with a +200 Mbps internet connection to the Main Deco and full device link speed of +800 Mbps to a slave Deco the only internet speed the device is seeing in these cases is < 50 Mbps. For example mine are 15-20 Mbps speeds. It seems like a PowerLine issue even if the green LED says it’s all fine. The very slow speed is the issue you need to bring to their attention. Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 9155

Replies: 23