RE450 / AC1750 drops 5G internet connection at least once per day...need to reboot to get it back

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE450 / AC1750 drops 5G internet connection at least once per day...need to reboot to get it back

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-01 12:45:10
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: RE450(US)_V2_171220

I have a RE450 currently working with an Asus RT-AC66 dual band router. I have it set to extend the 5G network using a SSID with EXT added to the end (so it's a different SSID from the original 5G network).

Approximately once per day, the RE450 drops its internet connection. The SSID and network are still present, and all the lights on the RE450 are solid blue and lit. But the extended 5G network no longer has an internet connection. I have to reboot the RE450 to re-establish the internet connection.

It appears to work the entire day, until I wake up the next morning and again the internet connection is lost. So I reboot again to re-establish it.

My firmware is up to date. The location of the RE450 is good according to the Tether app. Everything appears to work fine for approximately 24 hours until I need to reboot again.

I only have the RE450 set to extend the 5G network (I have the 2.4G extension disabled).

I've looked through the community archives and haven't been able to find a solution to this.

Options
19 Reply
Re:RE450 / AC1750 drops 5G internet connection at least once per day...need to reboot to get it back
2019-10-02 17:29:35

@Yngvai 

Is there anything that could interfer with the signal where you have the RE450 located?  Anything like major applicance, a stereo, or heavy wood furniture?  Have you tried to move the extender closer to the router?  I know you stated the Tether App shows it is in a good location but want to rule it out none the less.  

Thank you 

Options
Re:RE450 / AC1750 drops 5G internet connection at least once per day...need to reboot to get it back
2019-10-02 17:45:20

@Carl 

There is only a couch close to it. However, I know that's not the problem, because I had the same issue with it when I had the TP Link located upstairs in our master bedroom, and it wasn't close to any furniture at all.

I again had to reboot it early this morning. It worked for about 4 hours, then lost internet again. I rebooted again and had no connection. Rebooted again and then it worked.

Options
2019-10-02 18:18:58

@Yngvai 

Try to move it close to the router (just for testing) say with in 10 feet.  If it still happens send an email to ussupportteam@tp-link.com with a link to this thread and we can look at starting the RMA process.  As long as your product is less than 2-years old and pruchased from an authorized retailer we would be able to replace it. 

Options
2019-10-03 11:35:00

@Carl 

I ended up upgrading my router to a Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC6300, and moved the TP link closer so that I was getting around -54 dbm in signal for the 5G band (I was hovering around -68 in the previous spot). That appears to have solved the problem...no dropped connections so far.

Options
2019-10-03 17:42:52

@Yngvai 

-68 is right at the cusp of what is good and bad.  We typically recommned being "greater" than -70.  I'm glad its working well for you now.  

Options
2019-10-22 20:28:32

I get the same thing every day and often. I have laptops and tablets that constanly lose connection. I usually ahve to reset the range extender to get those devices back online. I have the RE 450's also and the Netgear C7100V Router/modem.

Options
2020-05-18 01:34:50

@Yngvai 

This extender is garbage I guess. I have the same problem. The extender is sitting next to the router with full signal. Th extender works fine for a day or so and suddenly drops the connection and at this stage the extender doesn't even respond to power down switch. Have to physically remove the extender from the outlet and reconnect it back and it will work for a day. Mailed the customer support and told to change the channel of Tx/Rx in the router to particular channel. Will try that and update. But very disappointed with this product.

valthen

Options
2020-06-07 17:12:01

@valathen 

All

I filed a ticket for support and some one got back to me promptly. I was asked to fix the Tx channel in my router to a fixed one and also restrict the Tx Bandwidth from the router. I tried that and the extender was up for 2 days and then crashed. I was with a customer respresentative from tp-link online and the representative logged into my extender and fixed something and the extender worked for 3 days and has crashed now. He also checked and said the extender is receiving good sgnal strength. I sincerely feel there is some bug in the extender and going by the discussions in the forum, this seems to be a problem. With this perceived instability no one at my home wants to connect to the extender as the extender might crash in the middle some important thing!

It is ok 65$ went down the drain but the bigger worry is the creation of electronic waste to landfill. Truely disappointed. If any of you have any suggestion please let me know and I will try them as well. 

Thanks for your help and time.

Regards

Valathen

Options
2020-06-10 21:30:41 - last edited 2020-06-10 21:32:05

I have the same problem with my RE450. And I think blaming the router for this bug is just SAD! Al other WiFi divices connects for weeks (until manually reboted either the router or the device itself) Why is this Extender not capable of maintain the connection? You guys at TP-Link should accept you need to fix this with some Firmware upgrade. I'll never buy any other TP-Link product.

Options
2020-06-11 03:19:06

@Sinap 

I was with the Senior Engineer again and he tried to retrieve the status of the extender after it has crashed and was not successful. When it crashes, nothing can restore the device  - not even the reset by pushing a pin through the reset hole - except yanking the device from the power port and re-connecting it. The senior engineer said he will do an RMA of the device and I told him that there are many folks in the forum experiencing the same issue and he said the cause is different. I don't know what exactly the cause is and if so they should publish the fix. 

I am doubtful the replacement extender will be any different. I will update once I receive the new device and try that. Thanks for your time and help.

Valathen

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5558

Replies: 19