Connectivity Issues with Deco M9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-04 08:54:27 - last edited 2019-10-05 05:37:29
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20190403 Release 43515

Has anyone else been experiencing continous drops with the latest firmware? I noticed that some of my devies straight up can't connect to the internet for periods of time (my windows computer with a killer-1550i can't connect until the local deco is restarted). 

I have tried toggling fast roaming to no avail. I have isolated the problem to the Deco by getting a new gateway and verifying that the problem doesn't exist on a Netgear router. It seems that if I do a restart on the Deco, it resolves itself for about an hour and the problem arises again. This is causing lots of problems, espescially for my smart home system as the Google devices can't discover each other on the local network for periods of time, and is also causing frustration when we are unable to connect to the internet.

Has anyone faced these problems and found a work around?

Options
16 Reply
Re:Connectivity Issues with Deco M9
2019-10-04 08:57:30

Looks like this a problem that others are facing as well:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/155871?replyId=357988

Can some support members shed some light on why this is happening and how we can resolve it?

Options
2019-10-04 19:57:36

@srihou 

When the issue happens, what is the color of the LED light?

Is the computer near the Deco that is the satallite or the Deco that is near the modem?

Options
2019-10-05 05:38:59

@Tony The light is green during this time. The Windows computer with the killer chip is next to a local deco, however, to confirm, it is not just my Windows computer with a problem: it's all my devices. There is a specific problem with the Killer chip as it requires me to restart the Deco to be able to connect to the internet, even if the connectivity resolves by itself after 5-20 minutes.

Options
2019-10-07 07:06:21

@Tony Any update on this?

Options
2019-10-07 15:27:37

@srihou 

There is currently no known issue with the killer chipset, and given how other devies have connectivity issues the issue is somewhere else.

Swap the Deco units to see if the issue still happens, when you do that the Deco app will ask you to designate a new main unit. 

There should be a new update for the Deco M9 coming out in the next few weeks. When that is released, update the system and see how that performs.

Options
2019-10-09 02:52:12

@Tony please see the post above and https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/155871?replyId=357988

It looks like these problems are shared among many users.

Options
2019-10-09 15:22:12

@americo.dias 

Please make sure to post in the global forums should you need assitance with your Deco device https://community.tp-link.com/en

@srihou 

The thread you mentioned has to do with the LED turning red which is due to the Deco losing internet or losing an IP address. In your situation some devices work while others do not, which is a different issue altogether.

Were the Deco units swapped? If so, what was the result of that?

If you still have the same problem, please delete the Deco network, reset the devices. With only one of the devices receiving the incorrect password, please forget that network so when you create the Deco network and connect abck to it the device will get prompted to enter the password again.

Options
2019-10-19 22:38:27 - last edited 2019-10-19 22:38:57

@Tony the problem was caused by me: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/155871?replyId=365296

Sorry and thanks for the patience.

Regards,

Americo

Options
2019-11-06 07:20:46

@Tony I have isolated the issue with the new firmware. It seems that upon joining the network, one of the slave deco blacklist's my computer. Even if I remove it from the blacklist, my device cannot connect to the internet. If I move my device to the other deco and remove it from the blacklist, and rejoin, it works perfectly fine. The problem is isolated with only one deco, what could be the reason for this?

Also, is there anyway to change the organization of the Decos? One of the decos keeps connecting to one that is very far away and keeps dropping the connection instead of conneting to the deco closest to it.

Options
2019-11-06 18:50:10

@srihou 

All settings are saved across all Deco units so that is odd how one appears to have its own settings. I would do a simple reset on the Deco unit, and add it back to the network.

As far as the orientation of the Deco units, the network manages that on the back end. So there really is not a way to make a Deco connect to what, the system will look at the current topology and choose the best path of connection. So even though what may appear to be a better connection due to other variables is not which is why the Deco is using the current path to send data.

To help with communication between Deco units you can wire them together with a Ethernet cable if possible which is not a pratical solution usually, but can be done.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8511

Replies: 16

Related Articles