Archer Ac5400X slow slow slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-09 23:50:35 - last edited 2019-12-09 23:51:39
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20180904 rel.41828

I just bought the Archer Ac5400X and for the life of me it is slow as can be. I have 1Gb fiber and it is not even close to that. I just walked through the set up when I hooked it up but this is terrible after all the great reviews I read. On the 2.4 GHZ i may get 80/60 and the 5GHZ about 350/250. Any help would be appreciated before I return this and get something else. It would not let me select my model from th drop down menu.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer Ac5400X slow slow slow
2019-12-10 23:01:27

@sre2094 

Try this beta firmware.  We have had some reports that from customers who have speed issues with fiber providers.  http://support.tp-link.com/f/d418f2fa74/?dl=1.   For 2.4GHz however the maximum through put for internet in an ideal enviroment is about 150Mbps but since an ideal enviroment does not exist the average speed you will see on 2.4 is around where you are at currenty 60-80 Mbps.   

Also please check wired speeds and use the built in speed test to show the speeds to a wired device and dirrectly to the router.  

Thank you 

Options
2019-12-11 00:40:10

Carl wrote

@sre2094 

Try this beta firmware.  We have had some reports that from customers who have speed issues with fiber providers.  http://support.tp-link.com/f/d418f2fa74/?dl=1.   For 2.4GHz however the maximum through put for internet in an ideal enviroment is about 150Mbps but since an ideal enviroment does not exist the average speed you will see on 2.4 is around where you are at currenty 60-80 Mbps.   

Also please check wired speeds and use the built in speed test to show the speeds to a wired device and dirrectly to the router.  

Thank you 

@Carl 

150Mbps is the best it can do? Why say it can do 1000 if that is all it will do? I really want to like this router but I am getting 1000Mbps in and nowhere near that out no matter what I use.

Options
2019-12-11 00:43:28

Would this be the speed into the router from the router setup?

This is a wired connection 

Options
2019-12-11 17:57:14

@sre2094 

To answer the 1st question why do we advertize 1000 Mbps when at best it will only get 150 Mbps?  This is because what we advertize and actually what the industry advertizes is not Internet speed but tranfer rates on the internal network.  1000 Mbps is the maximum theroretical transfer rate you could see between devices on the network on the 2.4 GHz band.  However the 2.4GHz technology due to various items such as technolog limitations, saturation, congestion and interference is limited to at best 150 Mbps but as i said typcially a 2.4GHz network will deliver around 60-80 Mbps is most network enviroments. 

For the 2nd part the speed test results between the router itself and to a device connected to it.  

Speed test to the router:  Not sure what your upload speed is but the routers speed test is coming in at right about where we would imagine it would be for a 1Gbps service.  

Speed test from wired computer.  We would first want to check the port link rate to ensure its not set lower than it should be.  you can also check the link rate of the wireless connection as well.  These need to read at 1 Gbps at least in order to meet the higher threshold of speed.  

Search:  Control Panel, choose Network and internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Double click on active adapter > look at speed.  

If the speed rate is below 1 Gbps then the speed you see for your test results will also be lower.  Several factors can affect the speed as well such as:  Hardware limitations on the client device, the ethernet cable type, applications running on the PC for wireless distance and obsticles are also a factor.  And yes, the router could be a factor as well.  It seems though that the router is getting the speed the issue seems to be either on the client devices or the connection to the client devices.  I would recommend loading the frimware provided in my previous post to see if that corrects the speed issues on your client devices.  If not check the aformentions items and let us know. 

Options
2021-05-05 10:54:16 - last edited 2021-05-05 11:00:51

@Carl  I purchased one of these Routers, and noticed mega slow speeds.

Contacted my service provider and they checked my connection from the modem to the outside cabernet ad undertook a speed test from the modem.  The speed was fine so they checked the router, and this was the bottleneck.

After contacting technical support I was getting nowhere with the speed issue, and just ending up downloading the latest firmware which was the same as installed and uploaded it. I can only assume there was a bug in the firmware as after updating I have full download speed.

I think Tp-Link need to double check the firmware, and create an updated version.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2646

Replies: 5

Related Articles