Intermittent High Ping Spikes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-17 00:23:23
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

Hello all,

I have been having issues recently with my Deco M9 Plus and I'm not sure how to fix it. The basic issue is that I am getting high speeds when testing and general use, but when gaming, especially League of Legends, I get high ping spikes randomly every few minutes or so. This is making my gaming unplayable. I've put my PC on high priority but that doesn't help.

I've narrowed down the issue to the wireless connection. I plugged in directly to the router with no issue, and also tried using a TP Link Powerline adapter with no issue (although much slower speeds on this). The Deco is one floor below me, literally directly below. Signal is strong and again, I have good speeds when running tests. Also of note, I am only using ONE Deco M9 unit as I have the other 2 in another home. This house is small enough where only 1 is necessary for good signals. 

PLEASE HELP! My old, larger home, did not have this issue with just 1 Deco unit. I'm stumped. There must be some kind of throttling or setting that is hindering me. I also have a TP Link Archer T9E PCI wireless card, but I also tried other wireless cards with the same problem.

PS. Called TP Link the other day, was waiting on speaker hold for 3 hours for a single representative, and then your line hung up on me. That's ridiculous. 

Options
51 Reply
Re:Intermittent High Ping Spikes
2019-12-18 22:25:56

@Ashhong 

Our phone lines were affected by a fiber cut over the weekend and were not available.  That is the only reason why you would have been on hold for 3 hours and/or never talk to agent.  

As for the issue you are experiancing.  Gaming espically on fast pass higher end games tend to using more bandwidth than a simple speed or ping test.    One thing you can try is open a command prompt and do a loaded packet test.   1 test to the gateway IP address and 1 to a website like yahoo.com  for example ping yahoo.com -l 500 -n 100.  These two test will show you if the issue is traffic or network.  If the ping results show high ping times to the gateway then moving a bit closer to the Deco may improve the service.  If the traffic has high ping times check your modem to ensure the signal is good and there are no errors or faults on the service itself.

Options
2019-12-19 03:36:13

@Carl In that case, I wish there was a message on the phone line that had told me that! But no big deal, that's what speaker phone is for.

As to my issue, I am only playing League of Legends. It's not a very intensive game and when I recently switched out the Deco to an older router, it worked fine. Also, how could it be my modem or my service when there's no issues at all when I use an ethernet cable? The problem definitely lies in the wireless. I track the bandwidth of my PC while playing the game on the TP Link Deco app and don't see any speeds higher than 20Mbps. I will try running your ping tests later tonight

Options
2020-02-18 07:23:04

@Carl Hello, and thanks for the reply. I apologize for the delay in my own reply.

I tested what you said. I'm not sure what is considered normal, however below are my results.

Yahoo.com

Min: 79ms

Max: 808ms (!!!!)

Average: 97ms

Gateway

Min: 0ms

Max: 52ms (!!!!)

Average: 6ms

So it does look like it is having issues with traffic. The modem is fine and like I said, there are no issues when I am connected via ethernet OR via an old spare router that I have. Could there be an issue with the Deco's wireless? Is there maybe something on the software side that could be holding me back?

Options
2020-02-18 23:12:41

@Ashhong 

The ping times to the Deco are good so that is telling me the issue is either the service or the link between the modem and main Deco.  What you can do is try the same test but connected dirrectly to the modem.  If you pings to yahoo are still similar than that would point to the service and you may want the ISP to test the line.  If both pings are low then i would try swapping the deco units around and if that still does not work I can authorize a pre-cautionary RMA as long as your unit is still in warranty.  While I do not think that will be needed it would be an available option. 

Options
2020-03-07 00:33:08

@Carl Hi Carl,

I connected via ethernet and got the following to yahoo.com

min = 67ms

max = 84ms

average = 68ms

So it definitely seems like an issue with my wireless radio. I have the other M9 units in another home so it wouldn't really be possible to switch around units. I purchased this in April of last year at Costco. Could we set up an RMA for this one unit? Thank you

Options
2020-03-07 01:54:57

@Ashhong 

When you were connected via ethernet, was it to the Deco or to the modem? 

Options
2020-03-07 02:12:58 - last edited 2020-03-07 02:13:13

@Carl It was to the Deco

Options
2020-03-09 21:34:01

@Ashhong 

So the average now is 68ms when connected to the Deco?  That is pretty average for a ping result and doesn't indicate any real issues.  As you said it was intermittent I would assume more so of a line issue than an issue with the Deco.  Who is your ISP?

Options
2020-03-10 00:08:43

@Carl 

That is the average when connected via ethernet. Please see the results from before. When connected via wifi, there were multiple instances of extremely high ping, with a maximum of over 800ms. This is inline with what I experience when gaming. Distance to the router does not make a difference. I have also tried using an older, supposedly outdated router and there are no instances of this intermittent high ping. 

You said yourself, "If you pings to yahoo are still similar than that would point to the service and you may want the ISP to test the line.  If both pings are low then i would try swapping the deco units around and if that still does not work I can authorize a pre-cautionary RMA as long as your unit is still in warranty.  While I do not think that will be needed it would be an available option."

My ping is NOT similar when on ethernet, therefore it does not seem to be an ISP issue. 

Options
2020-03-10 01:03:15

@Ashhong 

My statement was about pings from the ISP and from the Deco.  If the pings on Wifi are high but not on wired that is something else entiriely. For instance when pinging wireless or ethernet are you connected to the base unit or to one of the remote nodes?  If a remote node is it the same one?  We would have to isolate your pings and work our way through that before I could authorize an RMA as it looks that the high pings are comming from the wireless and not the Deco network

To test we would need the same test preformed at each node.  1. ping test via wireless and 2. ping test via wired connection.  ping test should include -n 100 -l 500 to load the packets and we would need to see the full results from each node.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 14851

Replies: 51