HS210 Lights turn on and off every second when manual switch in 3 way circuit is turned "Off".

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS210 Lights turn on and off every second when manual switch in 3 way circuit is turned "Off".

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-23 17:32:56 - last edited 2019-12-23 17:38:57
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I installed my HS210 switch on the first switch coming from an old fuse bock that has been since connected to a separate breaker panel. The box had the hot and neutral coming from the fuse box, 3 wire cable sent back out. I connected the white neutrals, the common, and travelers as they were attached to previous manual switch. I powered back on and made sure the manual switch still could control the lights, it did.

I noticed when that switch was on and the lights were on, nothing on the smart switch turned on. When I turned the manual switch off, the yellow/green lights came on and I began to set up my wifi. Once I had it set up, I used the app to turn the lights on, which it did. Once they were on though, the smart switch seemingly lost power and I lost the ability to control it on the app and manually. I went and turned the lights back off with the manual switch, and when I did the I heard the smart switch click on and lights came on for a second, then off for a second, then back on, back off, so on and so on. I measured the voltage at the switch and it seemed to have 120 at it when it switched on, but then dropped everything when it would switch back off. 

I checked the wiring on the other switch, which had the two  travelers and the common. hooked up. I then checked the outlet that it is powerin and it only had a hot and neutral going to it. 

I checked the smart switch when the lights were off, and I had 120V between my neutral and hot coming in from the panel. When I switch the lights back on, the voltage drops to about 50V across all cables and I cannot get 120V anywhere, I am guessing why this is why the switch is having a hard time driving current to the lights when the other manual switch is in that condition. 

Has anyone else had this problem, expecially when working with old wiring that has been half updated with newer wiring? I feel like I am missing a traveler somewhere and that hot is being sent to ground or neutral somewhere else in the circuit that I cannot see. I bought the two piece kit and have tried both switches and they both do the same thing.

Options
2 Reply
Re:HS210 Lights turn on and off every second when manual switch in 3 way circuit is turned "Off".
2019-12-31 01:41:16

@adnagrom 

In your cirucit enviroment do you know which side the HS210 sits on?  Is it the Load or the Live side?  Meaning is it on the side where power comes to the 3-way enviroment? (sorry not versed well in electrical termonlogy)  The reason i ask is if the HS210 sits on the Load side then that is likely the issue.  For the Wifi module to stay connected and for the connection to work properly the HS210 should be on the live side or where the power comes in.  If it is on the Load side and you can't swap the two switches, then you would need to leave the manual mechanical switch in a static "On" postion.  

As an example this is my use of the product.  I have a 3-way enviroment that controls my outside lights,  On inside at my door and the other downstairs inside my garage.  My manual switch is downstairs in the garage.  Because of this i can't put my HS210 down there so I have to leave it "on" in order for my HS210 to properly control the lights outside, other wise i have similar issues happening.  

Options
Re:HS210 Lights turn on and off every second when manual switch in 3 way circuit is turned "Off".
2020-01-02 14:56:24

@Carl it is on the live side. I can track my two 120V back to the fusebox. Also, it is the only box with a neutral and travelers going back out. 

The weird thing is that my other switch has my common and travelers going to it which it should, but my light only has a normal hot and neutral going to it. No traveler. I think this means that I have my traveler shorted to my neutral somewhere in a junction box or something. I am no electrician but the fact that when I flip the switch at the slave switch and all of the voltages in the on the Master switch drop, That would mean that they are shorting somewhere.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2038

Replies: 2