Smart switch with Automatic timer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-27 15:59:03
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

I want a fan and some lights to automatically turn off after a set time (30 or 60 minutes). I would assume this is more about software. But i am not certain what switches to buy and what software to control them.

For example i have a bathroom fan that i want to shut off automatically after about 30 minutes.  When some one turns on the fan, it should only stay on for 30 minutes or so, doing its job of changing the air, then shut off to save electricity. But we want to be able to control it remotely. 

What switch should i buy?

What software to set it up on?

SmartThings hub

Feit switches & bulbs

Kasa HS200 switch

Options
4 Reply
Re:Smart switch with Automatic timer
2019-12-31 19:13:33

@TMcDanel 

You could use the HS200 for this.  You can setup a smart action auto-off so that when the switch is switched on it will automatically turn off after X number of minutes.  For the HS200 you will need to make sure there is a neutral wire and that the load and live are seperate wires.  If load and Live are on the same wire or there is no neutral wire available our smart switches cannot be used. 

Options
2019-12-31 21:49:45

@Carl 

Thanks Carl!  i look at the app every day, but did not notice the Smart actions tab on the bottom until you made me look for it. I am glad i asked.

Is the timer run in the switch or does the phone app do the timing?

If it is the later, do i have to keep the app running all the time or does it run in the background of the iphone?

If it runs in the switch, that is a surprising amount of computing power for a light switch. I am beginning to really appreciate Kasa. The first one i tried was some Chinese off brand switch that was very flakey and unreliable. This Kasa switch has been very fast and reliable, like having a mechanical linkage. I am disappointed that i have not been able to set the Kasa switch up on my Samsung SmartThings hub. It has some programming capacity as well.

Best wishes and happy new year.

terry.

Options
2020-06-21 11:14:51

@Carl  auto off smart action is not working with HS200 switches with 1.5.7 firmware. Any suggestions?

Options
2020-06-22 23:45:18

@JChang 

Any Error message pop up?  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1784

Replies: 4

Related Articles