Control Smart Plug from Alexa?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-07 17:11:05
Model: HS105  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a tp-link Smart WI-FI Plug Mini.  I don't see a version number but there is "US/2.0" after the serial number if that is it.  I would like to control it from a Echo Dot.  Can I do that?  If so How?

P.S.  I am brand new to this tp-link stuff!

Thanks,

BillW

Options
5 Reply
Re:Control Smart Plug from Alexa?
2020-01-08 18:26:23

@BillW 

Yes, you will be able to use Echo dot with your smart plug, I use it at my place fine.

Setting it up is a two part process.

First, you need to set up the plug with Kasa, make sure that works remotely as well (turn off Wi-Fi and see if you can still control the plug). Here is the FAQ for that: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/946/

Once that is done the next thing is to enable the Kasa skill inside of the Alexa app, here is how: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/944/

In the end the Alexa should say it discovered your smart plug, and now you will be able to give voice commands to turn the plug on or off.

Options
2020-01-09 17:08:21

Thanks for the reply, Tony.  I can control the smart plug from the Kasa app using the button image on my phone but when I turn off my home Wi-Fi system I lose the connection to the smart plug.  I think that means I need to make that connection through blue tooth instead of Wi-Fi.  Is that correct? Does anyone have any idea how I can do that?

Thanks,

BillW

Options
2020-01-15 20:13:06

@BillW 

You will need Wi-Fi enabled in order to control the smart device. You can create schedules that will run regardless of Wi-Fi connectivity, but there is no bluetooth connection to control the smart plug.

Options
2020-01-25 15:29:43
Do you have any suggestion as to how I enable the Wi-Fi for this?
Options
2020-01-27 19:11:52

@BillW 

In order to control the smart plug with the Kasa app or by Alexa, the home Wi-Fi system must remain on.

If you want to be able to turn off the Wi-Fi system, I would set schedules. You would not be able to control the plug using the Kasa app or Alexa during that time, but it can still turn off or on a certain times.

Options