Design Flaw: Tether app now useless

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-12 22:37:59
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

The Tether app has been rendered useless to me.

First, what has prompted the discovery:

A customer asked for my help in setting up a TL-WA850RE over the phone.  The WPS method failed for an unknown reason.  So I went to Method 2, the Tether app.  I walked him through installing the Tether app.  The QSG said to have him connect to TP-Link_Extender and then start the Tether app.  When he started the Tether app, it asked him to sign into the TP-Link cloud.  !! How is he supposed to sign in to the TP-Link Cloud when he is connected to a device that doesn't have a connection to the Internet yet!! !!

This one fact will also screw up many of my customers trying to set up new routers, since our ISP does not use DHCP for common accounts, we use Static IPs.

Next, I'm one of the ISP installers.  I have found the Tether app to be a convenient way to set up my customer's routers.  Now that it is forcing me to sign into the TP-Link Cloud, I expect that it will be adding those routers I set up to MY cloud account automatically.  I DO NOT WANT THIS!!!!

Please allow us to bypass signing into the TP-Link cloud!  You can encourage users to sign in.  I'm content having to click on a link to bypass TP-Link Cloud sign-in, but currently I might as well uninstall Tether and save the wasted space.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Design Flaw: Tether app now useless
2020-02-12 23:48:05

@RavenWing871 

The TP-Link ID will need to be created so that will need to be done right when the app is downloaded. Once that is done you can move on installing the extender.

We have received regarding the recent change, and still welcome it so we may pass that along.

Options
2020-06-09 10:52:09

@Tony I generated an ID, and I still cant access my archer c3200 on same wifi network (not guest) and restricted access turned on or off in administration. 

Options
2020-06-09 22:36:06

@JanO2 

Make sure your phone does not have an active VPN connection running. Try on a different mobile device is possible, and also reboot the router and test again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1193

Replies: 3