Archer A7 - Orange Internet Light "Poor Network"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-25 20:19:23 - last edited 2020-03-25 20:20:51
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.13 Build 20191203 rel.56070(5553)

Hey,

I recently got RCN cable in NYC and am using a Netgear CM1000 modem connected to an Archer A7 Router. 

I have had problems with the Internet signal dropping out on the router. (This has happened about 4 times in the last week) and has cost me joining meetings etc while working from home so it has been quite frustrating. 

Everything would seem to be working fine and then suddenly the light goes orange and logging into the router I see "Poor Network"

If I plug the ethernet cable from the modem directly into my computer the internet instantly works again so there seems to be a problem with the router. 

Modem > Archer 7 > Ethernet to Macbook = No internet

Modem > Ethernet to Macbook = Internet working

After a few reboots of the router and modem it seems to be working again. 

I have already updated the DNS to google (which I read on another thread) but the issue still seems to happen.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer A7 - Orange Internet Light "Poor Network"
2020-03-26 17:27:18 - last edited 2020-03-27 13:31:08

@mor_gainz 

The internet turns orange when the router sees a network connection but no internet is coming through. Look at your modem and look at the system logs, what do you see there?

Options
2020-03-26 20:38:37 - last edited 2020-03-27 14:22:38

@Tony The internet light on the modem is still fine and as I mentioned if i plug directly from modem the internet works fine on my laptop. 

SYSTEM LOG:

It happened again at 16:00 and there is something in the log. I think what triggers it is disconnecting a laptop from Ethernet and moving it over to Wifi. 

How can I prevent this causing the internet to just drop out on the router?

Options
2020-03-27 13:34:26

@mor_gainz 

Thank you for the screenshots, if you look in the modem logs rather then the router do you see any critical 3 or critical 4 errors? Those errors pertain to the internet signal being unstable which will cause drops internet connections. 

If there are no logs like that then the WAN port on the router may be bad which case contacting our support would be the next step.

Options
2020-03-27 14:26:57

@Tony 

Hey Tony,

Here is a screenshot of my modem logs. There are some 3 and 4 errors here but the time stamps does not add up with all the internet lights turning orange yesterday 2020-03-26 so I do not know if these are relevant. 

What do you think?

Thank you for being so helpful! 

Options
2020-03-27 21:56:30

@mor_gainz 

I would look to get those addressed, but if you happen to have another router laying around I would say swap it. If you still see drops then it is definately the router. If you have noticed drops in the past say before you even had the TP-Link that may be the source of the problem.

To get those errors looked at you usually need to talk to the ISP but talk to a higher level tech and explain you have random drops, but you have internet, but noticed those errors that pertain to the internet signal. Could be something like bad cables or maybe something they can fix on their end. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 20038

Replies: 5