AX 11000 Slow Ethernet Ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX 11000 Slow Ethernet Ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
35 Reply
Re:AX 11000 Slow Ethernet Ports
2020-05-21 22:57:25

@virtualh i am confident that Tp-link can/will resolve this. It just requires them to take this case into consideration and provide a firmware fix. 

If tp-link can't/doesnt resolve this, then i may try flashing the firmware with the WRT firmware that may strip out all the gaming aspects and provide more configurations to control the overhead to network configurations.

Its quite puzzeling why/how this is happening. I love the router. it boots quickly and hasn't required a reboot in 2-months, and has speed logging so you can track your Gigabit speeds multiple times a day if you want, so over time you can show your ISP if you are getting throttled or less than what you are paying for.

Options
2020-05-21 23:04:25

@virtualh other great things abou this router it ability to support 16 simultaneous high-demand connections. I have 30+ devices in my house, yeah right, but i do, i had no idea until you see the "connected device" list in router.  This router's bandwidth, networking performance and data transfer rates, and the added benefits of dual LAN ports being agregated to combine speeds is super cool to transfer files to/from my NAS faster from supported machines.  Additionally the ability to tell Comcast to give me a 2nd Gigabit service so i can run 2-2.5Gbps into the router sounds great. 

Yes the Gigabit is reduced to 700ish but way faster than i was using, and i technically don't use this bandwidth even with full-time 6@4K cameras, multiple VPNs for work, and two kids online school + Netflix + Gaming....doesn't even put a dent in the speeds.  But the fact i can get 950-980Mbps from modem, but 700, maybe 800 from Router is wierd. 

Options
2020-05-22 00:49:17

Hey team, found the issue.

I just got off long tech chat with support. 

Long story short, the Archer AX11000's SpeedTest.net powered applet and/or integration with the firmware is not correctly measuring or reporting the router's connected to ISP speed. He has created ticket 15983269 and said it can be update in next firmware release. 

We are happy to say the 1-Gigabit LAN ports all checkout and hit 1000Mbps speeds. Wifi hits them too.  So its just SpeedTest applet that is reporting incorrectly. 

NOTE: There are configurations that depend on the results of the SpeedTest Applet but those can be customized and overridding manually. So this router is sound and working well.  We can expect to see this applet updated in next firmware release. 

---our tests-----

Test1: Modem --> Cat6 cable --> Comcast Technician's network tool 1100Mbps

Test2: Modem--> Cat6 cable --> Archer AX1100 --> Cat6 cable --> Macbook SpeedTest.Net = 905Mbps

Test 3: Modem--> Cat6 cable --> Archer AX1100 --> Cat6 cable --> Macbook SpeedTest.Net = 905Mbps

Test 4: Modem--> Cat6 cable --> Archer AX1100 --> Cat6 cable --> Macbook SpeedTest.XFINITY.com = 931Mbps

Test 5: Modem--> Cat6 cable --> Archer AX1100 --> Internal Speedtest tool on Router home page

Speed Logs Since router inception:

Options
2020-08-21 21:45:54
I was running into this same issue and was about ready to pack and return when I ran into this article. This did the trick for me. Particularly, doing the first two items listed solved it.
Options
2020-08-21 23:45:49

@KIdneykids i am happy you kept it. i really like this router. I check it daily and I am consistently getting 1Gb service. I still haven't gotten a new firmware from TP-Link but confident they know the issue now. 

Options
2021-02-10 22:46:36

HI,

I just picked up the AX 11000 and it's a great router, only issue I am seeing is

the ethernet ports appear to be slow.

When I do the speed test from the router I am getting 228 down and 11 up which is slightly better than

my plan (200mbs)

When I do the speed test on my phone on the 5g wifi I get a very good 170mbs down (with CIRCLE parental controls device enabled) so that's great,

however when I do the same speed test from my hardwired desktop (which has a solid 1gbs link) I get 60mbs down.

I did adjust the QoS to be 1000 up and 1000 down and made sure the AV etc was off.  I also double checked the link speed and it's 1GB everywhere so 
I am not sure where the bottleneck is other than the router is somehow throttling the ethernet ports.

Options
2021-02-10 23:11:32

@Snorkel one suggestion, to at least help you figure out how to proceed debugging.....

turn off all router extras: turn off QoS, virus detection, parent controls, then run your speed tests again. 

other external factors that can influence your hardwire connection.
1. Windows 10' IPstack and drivers. The properties on your driver can force 1Gbit. The MIcrosoft networking IP properties usually likes to do both IPv4 and IPv6. Turn off ipv6, for now. 
2. This one stumps me, but I am relaying what I found. You know those free Cat5e/6 cables bundled with routers, modems or your geek box?  Well they aren't made equal. My Comcast tech hooked up a brand new, from my router, still in sealed bag, to his $5000k network testing device...and was getting 1/2 of throughout I should be getting. I pay for 1gigabit service and was getting only 500-600Mbps. 
then he swaps Cat5e cable for his personal one he uses for Comcast. BAM, got full 1000Mbps. 

So I throughout all my OEM provided ones. I am network guy and started making my own again. Point is, not all Cat cables seems to meet full speed standards.

Options
2021-02-10 23:14:44
What I found was when I turned off non-essential router features I was able to get full speed of router. I found some parental controls and certain QoS was too big of overhead and slowed my throughputs. As to your hardwire, I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the 1Gig ports on router. Usually slowness is due to cable OR windows IP & Driver stacks I referred to earlier.
Options
2021-02-11 01:30:24
Yep, I did all that and the uplink cable from the router to my switch is cat6. I guess the one last thing to try is to patch my desktop directly to one of the ethernet ports and see if I get more than 50mbs. It's consistently 50mbs from my desktop. When I first installed the current cable modem(2 years ago) I did get 200mbs from this same desktop but it was a different router then.
Options
2021-02-11 08:00:45 - last edited 2021-02-11 08:01:24

@Snorkel 

Update, not the router.   I did a speed test from my Nvidia Shield and it got the full up and down speeds.

Something must be messed up in the keystone punch down at the switch or the wall plate for just this one connetion.

Options