HS 220 dimmable switch as ceiling fan speed control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-24 19:35:55
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Did anyone use HS 220 as a ceiling fan control (speed of the fan)?

Options
5 Reply
Re:HS 220 dimmable switch as ceiling fan speed control
2021-03-29 05:20:07

@Sonkoly I have not, but the idea crossed my mind. Did you give it a shot? What were your results?

Options
2021-03-31 00:06:52 - last edited 2021-03-31 00:07:34

@Sonkoly You should absolutely NOT. The power dissipation required by a fan motor comtrol is MUCH greater than a lamp array and the type of load is quite different as an inductive motor load vs a lamp load. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-03-31 22:51:04

I've been hoping for a Kasa fan switch for over a year now. I recently bought a Treatlife Ceiling Fan Switch which does exactly what I want, for a room where we change the fan speed fairly regularly. I'm still hoping for a Kasa fan switch before purchasing more for other rooms. But, the Treatlife switch might fill the gap for you, too.

Options
2021-04-01 01:54:10

@kinetifex I have the same - I much prefer the Kasa Switches over TreatLife where the product application matches, but as you say Kasa does not have suitable product available. The Treatlife works well enough, I just wish I could stick with the same product for all applications. 3-Way dimmer is another but I'm holding off on that one, the release of which HAS been announced by Kasa/TPLInk 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2022-01-03 18:26:42

Just wanted to step in here and comment about the Treatlife switches. I bought some based on many replies and reviews such as the ones above, but the Treatlife 3-way dimmer switches (DS02) are sold in a 2 pack but bizarrely don't work together as a 3-way switch. They expect you to retain a simple switch, specifically in the 2nd location in a standard 3-way switch design. This was a rude awakening for me as I thought I'd be able to have dimming control at both locations, or at least at the entrance I use 90% of the time which happened to be the 2nd location in my case. 

Unfortunatly I'm not finding many better options as I continue to research. Wanting fan control, light switch with dimmer, and a wifi smart switch all in 1-gang seems to be impossible to find in a 3-way configuration at the moment. I'm finding solutions for fan and light in separate switches, but the market is enemic at best. I hope TP Link makes a fan control switch and/or a combined switch that is compatible with 3-way dimming just like their KS230, but with support for fan speed controller (it's important to note that this is different than incandescent or LED/MLV controller for safety purposes). 

Maybe for now I'll resign to using Kasa 3-way switch without a dimmer, combined with a secondary smart controller in the ceiling fan canopy... I imagine this will lead to me needing to give 2 voice commands, but that seems to be the best I can do at the moment, and anyway turning the fan off and on is the more common command. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 8765

Replies: 5