RE305: ethernet backhaul vs access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-02 07:17:33
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm looking for the simplest and cheapest wired mesh network (one router with one satellite).

My vision is a C6 router with a wired connection to RE305 in access point mode. According to the RE305 product page, I could plug "the Ethernet cable into its Ethernet port to easily turn your wired internet connection into a dual band wireless access point."

Isn't that essentially an ethernet backhaul? Since I would be freeing up the second wireless band that would normally be used for wireless backhaul (true wireless extension). tp-link seems pretty adament in suggesting that no Onemesh products support ethernet backhaul (see Q5: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2690/). I also chatted with support and they kind of gave me a non-answer about access points and wouldn't address if they were the same thing or had essentially the same function.

Or am I misunderstanding the concept of ethernet backhaul?

Thanks in advance

Options
5 Reply
Re:RE305: ethernet backhaul vs access point
2020-06-02 18:08:55

@ttyng 

An access point needs to have an Ethernet backhaul in order to work so they are actually the same. Running an Ethernet cable to the RE provides the best speed compared to working solely off of Wi-Fi.

Like the FAQ mentioned, you can either have the RE in AP Mode or not have the Ethernet cable connected and set up the RE as a OneMesh device.

If you are looking for a true mesh wired network, then I would recommend our Deco units. Those nodes can be wired and still provide a mesh network. The OneMesh works only off of Wi-Fi.

You can go with the A6, and use the RE as an AP and having both be the same network name. That is what most users do already. What makes a mesh network is the supporting of the 802.3 k/v/r protocols. 

Options
2020-06-03 03:06:18

@Tony 

Thanks for the detailed reply.

So to clarify, OneMesh won't work if the RE is connected to the A6 via Ethernet? And what are the disadvantages between using the same network name and a mesh network?

Options
2020-06-03 18:40:12 - last edited 2020-06-08 21:21:51

@ttyng 

Mesh network will help move your device from one AP to another seamlessly (assuming your device supports 802.11 k/v/r) and you have one network name to connect to.

Having two AP units with the same network name means the device itself will determine which unit to connect to. 

If you are concerned with speed, I would use the Ethernet cable and make the RE a different name to avoid confusion.

If you want convenience, set up an OneMesh network so you connect to one network and not worry about which device you are actually connecting to.

You might have a case where you get the same speed if the RE is wired or not so test both and if they are the same, stick with OneMesh.

Options
2020-06-07 00:31:49
I am planning to setup onemesh with Archer MR600 with Re305. I would like to know your experience with onemesh
Options
2020-06-08 22:09:55

@avinashga23 

Here is how you can set up the router as a OneMesh router: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2532/

Here is how you can set up your range extender as a OneMesh device: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2506/

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2980

Replies: 5

Related Articles