Problem detecting network on laptop with AX1800

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-29 10:58:41

Hello,

I have bought this Archer AX1800 a few weeks ago. I have set it up at my new place and since then, everything works except one of my devices. My laptop. It is 4 years old. Connects to every other network but it will not find my home network. Not even if I put it in manually. i have tried dfferent things on the local side of the router. All my devices can see the wifi but my laptop. I got my channels set to auto. Still can't see both my 2.4 and my 5 gig channel networks with my laptop. 

My laptop is an Asus. Running an intel dual band wifi card. 

Is there something I am missing here? I can't get my laptop to connect on the wifi but i am able to use my USB to Ethernet adapter to connect but I would like to use this new router and wifi set up I have here. I even updated the firmware on the router.

Any help would be great at this point. 

Options
9 Reply
Re:Problem detecting network on laptop with AX1800
2020-06-29 11:45:34
Sometimes when you replace a router especially if you used the same WIFI SSID, a device will not connect. You need to delete (forget) the WIFI network setting and re-set it up. You can also try selecting specific WIFI channels and width as that also helps in some cases.
Options
2020-06-29 12:08:01

@ArcherC8 

So I did that and nothing worked. 

I even changed some channels on the router. Not sure which channels would work for my laptop but my old Archer C7 that my ex uses works without issues and I didn't have to change the channels on it. Not sure what the deal is with this new one. Any good suggestions?

Options
2020-06-29 12:58:19
I would make sure the laptop still works on another network as it is strange that it is the only device not working.
Options
2020-06-29 13:08:31

@ArcherC8 

I am at work here with the laptop. I am able to see every network we have here. Even connected to the public one. So I know it works here. But not with my AX1800 at home.

Options
2020-06-30 22:35:42

@Shootlessjoe 

The issue is that the drivers your wireless card has does not work with AX networks.

You must update the drivers on your laptop, once you do that you will see the AX networks.

Another solution is to log into the router and change the wireless mode so it does not broadcast AX.

Options
2021-01-30 06:01:30
Could someone please explain to me what: "Another solution is to log into the router and change the wireless mode so it does not broadcast AX." means.
Options
2021-01-30 13:30:17
In you router's advance settings, in the WIFI settings is an option called "mode" or such. Depending on the router, it can have different options. Mine has "11a/n/ac/ mixed" and "11ac only". Using the "11ac only" does not allow non AC devices from attaching. Newer routers like your router has additional options that include AX. Some devices have an issue when a router uses the AX mode on the band. So you will want to select a mode that does not have AX.
Options
2021-07-31 12:34:02
when i look into my settings i cannot find how to change the mode or what it is called in my settings
Options
2021-07-31 16:01:37

@marzz300 

You may need to turn off Smart Connect in the Advance Wireless settings to get to the Mode option.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5027

Replies: 9