Unknown MAC Addresses on out network. Need help please!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-28 12:40:03
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.17.1 Build 20180125 Rel.56387n

My wife dicovered we've been using 3x the amount of Data our ISP allows us. That is VERY unusual.

Looking at the router info, there are two "locally assigned" MAC address that have unknown IP addresses that should NOT be on there.

A2-04-60-CC-C3-96
A2-04-60-CC-C3-95

I tried MAC filtering, but that didn't seem to work.

I reset to default on the router. New passwords (same SSIDs though). They were back on this morning using these addresses:

DA-47-32-F5-50-17
DA-47-32-F5-50-18

I need help to remove them. Someone is on our network and we can't get them off.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Unknown MAC Addresses on out network. Need help please!
2020-07-28 17:45:54

@Bighunt15 

The pattern of the MAC addresses seem to be "private" MAC addresses. Other people in other forums have reported seeing a new MAC address pop up when using devices like the Kindle or Fire TV. 

What would be best to do is to begging a constant ping test to the IP.

-Open the command prompt and type:

ping ipofdevice -t

When you hit enter it will send a constant ping. Now just start turning off every device one by one that has any network connection to track which one it is. I think it may be one you use for streaming video if you do have something like that.

Options
2020-07-28 20:18:10
If you do not have a large list of devices, you may want to go into the router's security features and Whitelist all of your MAC addresses. You could try blacklisting the unknown MACs but if it can change the MAC I do not think that would work. As far as the high usage, cloud services are often overlooked as backups can use a lot of bandwidth. Also things like Amazon photos. One method to try and find the device using the bandwidth is to change the SSID and/or password, remove the cables of Ethernet devices and attach only one device that can check the usage. If good, add an additional device until the usage spikes. If using the ISP usage numbers, note that they can be delayed.
Options
2020-07-28 21:08:28
Could it be your and your wife's phones? Some phones can be set up to use randomized MAC addresses and not their real MAC addresses. My Google Pixel 3 was like that. I use a program called "Who's on my WIFI?" (version 4.0.5) to track who attaches to my wireless (and wired) network.
Options
2020-07-28 22:53:46

Thanks for all the replies. I turned off the router, turned Bridge Mode OFF on our ISP modem/router so we can go back to that for a while. So far, no strange MAC addresses. It sucks cause they don't allow their USB ports for media devices (like my external hard drive that has movies on it).

Options
2020-07-29 11:50:49
Turn the router back on and set it back up but leave the wireless off and you should be able to attach devices to the Ethernet ports and connect your drive to the USB port.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2521

Replies: 5

Related Articles