Deco M9 firmware update through app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 firmware update through app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:Deco M9 firmware update through app
2020-09-14 02:01:37

@somzuth 

Looks like there is a new firmware pdate available now for V2 - Deco M9 Plus(US)_V2_1.4.2_200821

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-m9-plus/v2/#Firmware

But, when you download that and try to apply that to V2 hardware, it doesn't work. Anyone had similar experience?

Options
2020-09-14 18:39:31

@b1230  I found the same issue and also posted it.  This firmware file is for the V1 hardware.  I tried it both from my PC and Mac.

David Langer davidjlanger@outlook.com
Options
2020-11-01 15:47:18 - last edited 2020-11-01 15:47:38

@Tony I just got a set of M9 Plus devices.  Same issue; old firmware on them, can't login to the updater app to download new firmware.  Login confirmed on tplinkcloud.com.  I've tried to contact support chat, but the site failed to open a chat.  I tried the email support method - hopefully they get back to me soon.

I've tried in with both router and AP mode.  I plan to use AP mode behind a FiOS router, so I switched back to router mode just in case it needed that.  No luck.

In the mean time, if any one has any ideas, please share!

Deco M9 Plus v2 Hardware, Windows 10 Home.

Options
2020-11-02 14:22:53 - last edited 2020-11-02 14:23:56

I received a response from support that resolves the login issue.  It turns out if you have a virtual network adapter from Virtual box or VMWare, it interferes with the update app.  I use Virtual Box and have one of these. I disabled the adaptor Windows 10's "network connections" control panel and the app let me login and then worked as expected.

There is an FAQ about this, however I couldn't find it listed on any of the expected places (Deco M9 plus FAQ page, Deco M9 plus firmware download page, ...)  I suggested support update their web pages.  If they don't do that, here's the link so others can hopefully solve this faster:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2930/

Options
2020-12-03 15:03:44

@Tony 

I had the same issue as others attempting to update the firmware of my Deco M9 (v1.2.12). All of the replies to this thread have been very helpful in getting me started toward a successful resolution.

I got in touch with Deco support (live chat not phone). They were helpful but ultimately (following three separate chats advising three well intended but fruitless paths) it came down to needing to manually update the firmware via my computer (a Mac). As noted elsewhere, the app will not update if you are on v 1.2.12.

I attempted to follow the manual update instructions suggested by the techs and was able to download the update files but was blocked from opening the update file by the security on my Mac  I got in touch with support again.

The final live chat tech identified that because I have a Mac, there was a special set of instrucitons needed to overcome the Mac security settings to enable downloading the firmware update file. Here's the link to the Mac instructions:   https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1042/ 

I was able to install the update file and followed the rest of the procedures to successfully update to 1.4.3, Build 20200921, Rel 42500.

It took about 3-4 minutes for all of the Deco units to finish and stabilize with a green light.

The app now reports that I am on v 1.4.3 Build 20200921.

Hopefully future updates can be accomplished via the app.

Options
2020-12-07 20:53:52
I just want to confirm that was my issue as well. Turns out my VirtualBox network adapter was interfering so I shutdown the VM that was running then disabled the adapter and was able to login and update the firmware.
Options
2021-03-25 14:00:25

@Tony 

Hi, I am having all of these same problems - intermittent internet, app says up to date but is not, completely unable to download/install upgrade, Deco upgrade assistant rejects correct credentials. Was on with tech support all day/night - no progress! Have any of these issues been resolved? Does not seem like it should be this difficult?

Any advice? Updates? Thanks

Options
2021-03-25 14:01:23
Hi, I am having this same problem - among others! Has anything been resolved? Thanks
Options
Related Articles