100% Defeated Parental Controls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

100% Defeated Parental Controls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:100% Defeated Parental Controls
2020-09-12 12:56:46

@Seganku Definitely not ideal, but effective and I figured that would be the best available solution.

Rebooting the router doesn't help because they can still initiate a VPN session after Bed Time and after Time Limits and when Paused (and any combination of the 3). That's the whole problem, really. The best solution would be for TP-Link to release an updated firmware that would fix this issue.

Options
2020-09-12 14:57:58
I agree. I have a VPN for my iPad and the MAC and IP did not change on my Archer C8 when I turned the VPN on so you would think the router could control it. I did not try any controls as I just did a quick test to see if that might be why a VPN device would bypass the controls.
Options
2020-09-12 16:45:34

@ArcherC8 They get the TP-Link Parental Controls captive page (connected to WiFi, no internet access), but when they fire up the VPN, it works anyway.

Options
2020-09-13 03:29:55

@ArcherC8 When the WiFi is scheduled off, the guest networks are disabled, too.

Options
2020-09-13 13:24:40
Interesting. I found a site that describes how to use VPN to bypass the controls. Looks like you need a way to lock down the CMD Prompt on their PCs (which they would counter), control the VPN port (They might be able to counter somehow), or what I would do is Install an inexpensive extender such as RE220 that has 'Power Schedule', install it with a time schedule and a unique SSID/passord for them and of course a very strong RE220 passord, change the SSIDs and passwords on the main router and the routers WIFI. Give them only the extender SSID/password. Then tell them if they are caught trying to bypass it, further restrictions will happen.
Options
2020-09-14 17:37:57

@ArcherC8 Along those lines, my son quickly figured out how to enable the hotspot on his mobile.  I already had a Raspberry Pi set up to do some other things, so I set up a cronjob to log the output from 'iwlist wlan0 scan' once a minute.  It can be useful to see when (and where-ish) any new wifi hotspots are popping up within range.

Options
2020-09-14 21:52:25

@WestRamp 

I have been looking for how to block VPN connections. But there is no category in Tether App. TP link should add a cateory that blocks VPN apps/web sites.

Options