Kasa app Smart Device Setup doesn't need location services, stop asking

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-10 22:53:23 - last edited 2021-11-09 07:04:55
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

The iOS app did not used to need location services enabled in order to setup a device.  And let's be clear: you DO NOT NEED TO KNOW THAT.  Please disable that requirement immediately.  Now.  Today.  I have no desire to share my location with your servers.  In fact, you've ruined my workflow with the requirement.  I used to be able to connect to the device's wifi, open the app and complete the setup process.  Now, with this dumbassery, I have to open the app, tell your servers where I am, then minimize that app, go connect to the wifi, then go back to the app to complete setup.  Just, stop it.  Change it back to where I could connect to the wifi, setup the device, the end.  What if I don't have internet access at the location?  I'm screwed.  Please.  Change it back.  Or, at the very least, give me the option to continue without it enabled.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Kasa app Smart Device Setup doesn't need location services, stop asking
2020-10-13 20:56:49 - last edited 2021-11-09 07:04:55

@SirAbbadon 

Thank you for your feedback. Like you mentioned the new setup does prompt a requirement to enable the location assistance. You can choose later to disable that once the setup is complete.

Unfortunately, it does not look like this will change, but we have made passed on your feedback to our developers.

Options
Re:Kasa app Smart Device Setup doesn't need location services, stop asking
2021-11-07 22:01:34 - last edited 2021-11-09 07:04:55
I just purchased some tp-link/kasa outlets because of reviews, but location requirements are unneeded and a deal breaker. I’ll be returning mine.
Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 1418

Replies: 2