Deco M9 Plus - losing a lot of speed !

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-23 21:53:27
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

When checking speed in the Deco app I have 764/520 which is close to what my isp has promised. When checking the speed connected to one of the Decos my speed is only 27/12. 
a huge drop in speed. I have 3 floors in a 250m2 house, and we have one on each floor, so I cannot place them closer together.

What can be wrong? Any settings that might be wrong? can I wire the Decos? 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus - losing a lot of speed !
2020-10-26 16:07:00

@LadefogedT 

You can try swapping one of the satellite units with the main Deco to see if the main Deco could be giving the slow speeds. I'm assuming the wireless signal is likely just weakening having to go through floors. 

You are able to wire Deco units together to help improve the signal. You can have both satellites wired to a switch, then the switch to the main Deco. You can also wire the second unit to the first, then the first to the main Deco.

Options
2020-10-26 17:50:06

@Tony 

Thanks for your answer. Much appreciated.

I just do not understand it. The main deco is placed right next to the router. No distance to cover. If I measure the speed in the app, the speed is fine. When I measure the speed in another app. The difference is HUGE. I do not understand the loss of speed?

Can the setup be wrong in some way? How do I check if the main deco is actually the one next to the router?

Thanks,

Thomas

Options
2020-10-28 16:03:22 - last edited 2020-10-28 16:04:02

@LadefogedT 

The main Deco is always the one wired to the modem. What you can also do is to go into the Deco app, tap on the globe icon then tap on the Deco units to see what is connected to what. 

Options
2020-10-28 20:56:44

@Tony 

Hi Tony,

If you look in the image the main deco is wired to the router. Still I see a HUGE drop in speed when measuring the speed. Why? Measuring in the Deco app the speed is 802/520 mbps. When measuring the wifi connection on one of the slaves the speed is only 61/33. This cannot be right! And it is not like the main and slaves are far apart. They are right on top of each other with one on each floor.

What is wrong in the setup? The main is (as mentioned) wired directly to the router. The two slave Decos are wireless.

Do I need to wire the main to one slave and from this slave to the last slave...?

Thanks for advising.

Thomas

Options
2020-10-28 22:44:05

@LadefogedT 

Wireless signal severely degrades when going up or down the next floor.

My previous post mentions using the Deco app to see where your device is connected to, please see if the phone is connected to the main Deco. If it is, swap the main Deco with one of the satellite units (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2400/). Then look to see if your Deco speeds improve, also disable the Wi-Fi on your router to make sure the router is not interfering with the speed.

Doing the speed test in the app is the Deco measuring the speed that it is getting from the Ethernet cable so that is fine.

Another thing you can try is to get a computer and wire to every Deco node to see what speeds they get, not using Wi-Fi.

Options
2020-10-31 18:14:04 - last edited 2020-10-31 18:19:17

@Tony same problem here when I put my WiFi device right next to the main deco m9 plus. Samsung Note 10+, new i7 10th gen laptop, all connected 5Ghz and anything WiFi 2.4Ghz is the same or worse.

Here are my ridiculous results from just the last hour, about 800-900Mbps download from wired device, but only 50-150 from wireless devices:

Here's what I used to get 6 months ago with the same equipment, when I just purchased the deco M9 Plus. nothing changed other than deco firmware updates:

I'm on flat apt, no floors, same results even when one unit is off, all tests were taken within 20cm of the main unit. Here's the info: Deco M9 Plus two units, Firmware 1.2.11, build 20190926, rel 55727.

Furthermore, some of my WiFi devices keep getting randomly disconnecting from the WiFi and losing signal while in use, auto reconnecting after 10-15 seconds. Only the wired device keeps getting strong stable solid connection, so definitely something WiFi related.

Tried all QoS options, tried disabling antivirus filter, any other suggestion maybe?

Thanks

Options
2020-11-05 23:51:58

@Simerotic 

Past users have factory defaulted their Deco units and reported speeds returning.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1130

Replies: 7

Related Articles