Zoom is being blocked by parental controls, but used to work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Zoom is being blocked by parental controls, but used to work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:Zoom is being blocked by parental controls, but used to work-Solution
2020-12-02 17:48:42 - last edited 2020-12-02 20:00:54

@Kirkb1693 

on my M9 I experienced the same thing. Turns out zoom was being blocked under the "pay to surf" category. Removing that specific category from the filter allowed zoom to begin working again.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Zoom is being blocked by parental controls, but used to work-Solution
2020-12-02 19:23:34 - last edited 2020-12-02 20:00:51

@Kirkb1693 

I confirmed it was 'Pay to Surf' in the parental controls.  Moved that to the Available Categories and it solved my problem.  Confirmed by attempting the same Zoom meeting with it on/off several times. 

AX6000  1.1.1 Build 20200714 rel.18254(5553)

iPad iOS 13.3 (stuck at that version by school district)

No problem before Thanksgiving break.  Messed with it for three straight school days...

Good luck parents.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Zoom is being blocked by parental controls, but used to work
2020-12-02 20:03:18 - last edited 2020-12-02 20:04:33

@CJIIQ 

@Cmcook 

Thanks for sharing, not an ideal solution but better than no parental controls at all.

Options
2020-12-03 17:27:29

Hi everyone.  

We have word back from our software team. 

"For the Deco's HomeCare feature, we are using the Trend Micro database, TM classifies the Zoom to the "Pay for Surf" category, so the zoom website is blocked when the parental control blocks the "Pay for Surf" category.  You can go to the website https://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/ to test the zoom website, and you can see the zoom.us website be categorized to Business / Economy, and the Business / Economy belongs to the "Pay for Surf" category. On this page, you can also request reclassify the zoom website. "

We are also contacting TrendMirco about this and if we hear anything back from them we will update the thread.

Options
2020-12-20 03:06:42

@Carl I just read this string now and had created a similar string earlier today. My issues started around Thanksgiving as well, somewhere between Nov 25-27. We got blocked from Amazon Prime Music and TuneIn (somehow now blocked by the online communication parental category), several apps (Target, TD Ameritrade, now Instagram), and ironically, TP Link's help site, which I can reach only when I bypass the Deco controls with a VPN. It seems like Trend Micro cast the net a little too widely.  Thanks...

Options
2021-05-28 20:37:16

@Carl 

Hi Carl

Deco M5

Version 1.5.3 

No Parental Profiles are set up.

Zoom not working via the Decos... (when I connect an other old access point it works well)

Can you help me out?

Options
2021-06-01 16:03:44

@Gil_B 

The Zoom being blocked by the HomeCare filters should only affect users of Parental Controls but also should have been resolved with the latest firmware.  Have you installed the newest available?  I know it shows V1.5.3 in your post but I only know Firmware by their build date number.  In the Deco M5 case that is:  202010203.  

If that is what you are on.  I would need the following:

• Hardware version of the Deco M5
  • Have you swapped units around making a remote unit the base and vice versa?
  • Screen capture of any error message or code recieved.

Options