Unit not found message from Alexa, also powers up by itself

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-02 18:22:47 - last edited 2020-12-06 17:58:03
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: unsure

Hello,
I'm writing regarding my Kasa Smart Plug  (HS100), I'm hoping you can help me with problems I've had with the plug since purchasing it. I use the plug to power up my air conditioner and gave it the name "air-conditioner" in the Alexa app. The most common problem is when the plug is not found by Alexa, I get an error stating "air conditioner not found, please check its network connection". The only way to overcome that problem is to unplug the unit from the wall and plug it back in. There were a few rare occasions when the plug started working again, but this only happened after waiting a day to try it again. The other problem is that sometimes the plug would power up by itself, without any voice commands from me or from using the app. There were a few occasions when I was sitting in my living room a few feet away from the plug and I heard the click from it powering up and saw its power light go on and again, my cell phone was turned off and I hadn't given Alexa any commands at all. Anyone else here experience these problems? Any thoughts on workarounds and why it's powering up by itself? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

FYI, I'm not sure the hardware version, but I bought the unit from Amazon in May 2018.

Options
3 Reply
Re: Unit not found message from Alexa, also powers up by itself
2020-12-02 19:36:11 - last edited 2020-12-06 17:58:03

@213 

Have you tried giving the device a specific nickname or location in the Alexa app and then calling it by that?

Options
2020-12-06 18:24:34

@Carl Hello Carl,
yes, I did get the plug a nickname. When I first set the plug up, I had my air conditioner plugged into it and gave it the name "air-conditioner" when setting up the app and setting it up in the Alexa app. I recently disconnected the air conditioner and plugged a space heater into the smart plug giving it the name "heater" in the Alexa app. Again, it seemed to work okay the first few times, I was able to use voice commands to power up the heater but again this morning, I got a "heater not found, check its network connection" from Alexa. When I tried using the Alexa app to turn on the heater, there is a message reading "Device is unresponsive." Resetting the unit by unplugging it and plugging it back in usually fixes the problem, but this is very difficult as I'm disabled. I bought the unit back in May 2018, I'm assuming it's still covered by warranty? I believe it's a two-year warranty? Again, any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Options
2020-12-07 19:03:12

@213 

A replacement can be tried but since you would need to register the product and go through verification of the product and the seller we would recommend contacting the support team directly.  This way possible personal infromation is not being shared publically on the commuity.  send an email to Kasa.Support@tp-link.com.  in the subject put "Warranty Replacement Request"  and include a link to this thread in the body so that you can show the agent who responds what has already been done. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 467

Replies: 3