How to block ALL unknown clients from network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-01 17:07:04 - last edited 2021-07-27 02:11:39
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 13901

On a netgear router I used to have, I could block all new  unknown clients from my network. I can only find how to block individual clients on the TP-Link router. That helps if I know who they are. If I don't, is there any way I can set up security for unknown clients?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to block ALL unknown clients from network?-Solution
2021-01-02 15:48:11 - last edited 2021-07-27 02:11:39

IrvSp wrote

Hickdawg wrote

On a netgear router I used to have, I could block all new  unknown clients from my network. I can only find how to block individual clients on the TP-Link router. That helps if I know who they are. If I don't, is there any way I can set up security for unknown clients?

@Hickdawg 

I'm an a V1 A20.

Easy to do. Open a Browser, Log-in to the router. Click on Advanced, then Security and then Access Control.

From that screen, you'll need to CREATE a WHITELIST. after you ENABLE ACCESS CONTROL.

You can select all the ones connected now when WHITELIST is selected and save, only they could connect. If you have some you don't want, use BACKLIST and select and save.

'Official FAQ', https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1535/

Not too clear how to ADD new devices? I suspect you'll need to turn off Access Control, allow the device in, and add it?

Using this, NO DEVICE can connect if not on the WHITELIST.

@IrvSp 

Awesome! Okay. Did this. Thanks tons!

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:How to block ALL unknown clients from network?
2021-01-01 21:13:36
See 9.2 access control of your user manual.
Options
2021-01-01 21:27:29

@ArcherC8 

thanks for that. Will check firewall. 
I still couldn't find any specific settings to block unknown clients (if they had my password) from entering the network. I had that functionality with the other router. Will continue research.

Options
2021-01-02 00:51:31

Hickdawg wrote

@Hickdawg 

I'm an a V1 A20.

Easy to do. Open a Browser, Log-in to the router. Click on Advanced, then Security and then Access Control.

From that screen, you'll need to CREATE a WHITELIST. after you ENABLE ACCESS CONTROL.

You can select all the ones connected now when WHITELIST is selected and save, only they could connect. If you have some you don't want, use BACKLIST and select and save.

Not too clear how to ADD new devices? I suspect you'll need to turn off Access Control, allow the device in, and add it?

Options
Re:How to block ALL unknown clients from network?-Solution
2021-01-02 15:48:11 - last edited 2021-07-27 02:11:39

IrvSp wrote

Hickdawg wrote

@Hickdawg 

I'm an a V1 A20.

@IrvSp 

Awesome! Okay. Did this. Thanks tons!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1186

Replies: 4