RE605X - Wired Back Haul? OneMesh? AP Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-06 17:44:34 - last edited 2022-07-06 07:56:24
Model: Range Extender  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I just purchased a  RE605X Range Extender and have some questions which I was not able to find the answers.

1)  Does this support wired backhaul?

2) If wired, then should this be put into AP Mode?

3)  Will the OneMesh system work if wired in AP Mode?

Thank you!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re: RE605X - Wired Back Haul? OneMesh? AP Mode-Solution
2021-12-14 08:04:09 - last edited 2022-07-06 07:56:24

Hello everyone, 

If you have the same request, please leave your the device information  in below thread,  we will record your feedback for further evaluation. Thank you. 

[Feature request] Range Extender OneMesh Supports Ethernet Backhaul

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re: RE605X - Wired Back Haul? OneMesh? AP Mode
2021-02-08 23:37:53

@Pagan_Ranger 

1/2. The device should have Access Point Mode which turns the extender to a wired access point. : https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1325/

3. OneMesh does not support Ethernet backhaul.

Options
2021-03-27 20:31:07
Are there plans to support OneMesh with an RExxx that has an "ethernet backhaul" in future versions of the firmware, or is it impossible with current hardware? It would be great to have the convenience of OneMesh with the increased bandwidth of a wired "ethernet backhaul" connection between the RExxx and router. FWIW, I have an RE315 extender and Archer_A6 router. BTW... Just saw this exact same request brought up in Forum Topic 235540, "OneMesh Ethernet Backhaul". Other forum topics brought up similar requests, though appeared to accept the less desirable workaround (e.g. AP mode with different SSID and no OneMesh functionality).
Options
2021-05-20 05:39:52

@Tony i am also exploring mesh wifi different models/setup and different brands too. but really looking at RE605X mesh capabilities but a bit disappointed it doesnt support mesh in wired ap mode/backhaul. i like the design with integrated AC as it doesnt add to those wire cluttering. hopefully tp-link can come up with an update and support mesh in ap mode or come up with a new model but same AC integrated design.

Options
2021-09-13 11:30:06 - last edited 2021-09-13 11:30:53

@Tony  OneMesh does support wired backhaul. At least on the deco models. So might this be coming for the RE605x too?

I just received mine expecting it to be capable of this, but quite a disappointment for me now to be honest. If this functionality will not come. What models do or will support backhauling incl support for WiFi6 & WPA3. (I'm combining it with the AX6000)

Options
2021-10-30 12:51:53 - last edited 2021-10-30 12:56:29

WARNING    WARNING    WARNING

If you really want the RE605X BEWARE:

THE DEVICE DOES ARP SPOOFING

and TAKES OVER ALL MAC ETHERNET ADDRESSES ON YOUR WIRED NETWORK

***INCLUDING YOUR GATEWAY***

WARNING WARNING WARNING

I was very happy to go this Saturday morning to buy an extender and return home all in 40 minutes and this one seemed interesting. But now when I set it up, my email got flooded from my linux server+router with arpwatch alerts about mac address changes.

Literally every single mac address on my LAN and WIFI has been assumed by the RE605X and all network traffic is intercepted and goes THROUGH the RE605X. I haven't yet examine what of this traffic is also being sent to TPLINK over the internet as I only started NTOPNG after the disaster. To make things worse I won't be able to filter traffic by it's ethernet address since it replaced all my devices with it's own same hardware ethernet address (that's really evil. I was able to block my existing Tenda 5G router from leaking all my ethernet addresses in plain text mode to their chinese website just by filtering it's mac address. but what TPLinks has done this is a whole new level of evil)

I tried disabling the built-in DHCP server (as I do have mine anyway) but no change. The device is setup in wifi extender mode (no ethernet link), picking up my existing 5G network.

Next I'll try to contact TPLINK but I don't have any hopes. Most likely I will wait to order something else and I'll sell this at loss.

Options
2021-11-03 09:12:12

Hello @gigel 

TP-Link Range extender working as a Proxy and will give out  a virtual MAC address(click here to learn some details)  to clients of extender,  but that should Not change the MAC address of Wi-Fi or wired clients of main router, let along gateway.

It is possible that some special setting in your network topology reports alerts when it detects the extender's proxy mode. You may  disable some rules temporarily to sort this out. 

Options
Re: RE605X - Wired Back Haul? OneMesh? AP Mode-Solution
2021-12-14 08:04:09 - last edited 2022-07-06 07:56:24

Hello everyone, 

If you have the same request, please leave your the device information  in below thread,  we will record your feedback for further evaluation. Thank you. 

[Feature request] Range Extender OneMesh Supports Ethernet Backhaul

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3051

Replies: 7