Blocking Government Property Tax Website??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Blocking Government Property Tax Website??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
20 Reply
Re:Blocking Government Property Tax Website??
2021-03-05 01:11:29

@IrvSp 

Previously I took a brief look at some log entries... but didn't really investigate.

I have the same ISP for both routers - C4000XG was provided by Century Link - the Archer AX11000 purchased by me...  the DHCP address changes anytime I change routers, reboot, etc.  Otherwise - it is fairly stable.  SO - I am not using the same ISP address for both routers - since it changes if I swap; and I have no control on what Century Link assigns.  And when you swap back - it is still totally different from previous - since it is dynamic and assigned by my ISP (Century Link)

My device's (computer) home network address is static and permanent assigned with the Archer; and the C4000XG just assigns it whatever it wants...

I have not paid for a DNS service - or looked into some sort of free one - my ISP address is quite stable - as long as I don't swap, reboot, etc.  My internal home network - I have some addresses permanently assigned, etc.   Other than that - I am not sure what you are saying with the remark of "Same DNS on both routers".  I'm a bit lost on what you are asking.

I would love to try out Googles 8.8.8.8 - but that would not solve the problem.

Century Link (my ISP) is not blocking the website.  Their provided C4000XG router allows me access just fine... it is what I will be using the next time I pay these property taxes.

Now, if I set the Archer AX11000 to go to Google 8.8.8.8 - that is still using the AX11000 to access the internet.  And the AX11000 is what is not letting me access just this one specific website - for who knows what buried deep in it's command shell...

Home Care?  Just gone thru the various settings in the Router - and tried to solve.  Turned off all firewall; enabled UPNP; tried DMZ; anti-virus etc.  Just all a no go.  If "home care' is in Security, etc. I have looked at it... and changed settings.

But not worrying about it anymore.  Thanks for your help.

Options
2021-03-05 13:20:14
What DNS service does the old router use and what DNS service does the new router use? If different, that may come into play. Also I wonder about IPv6 use on each router as one may be trying to connect via IPv4 and the other IPv6. I know you do not want to power off the new router so to test if there are differences, change the settings in the old router and test.
Options
2021-03-05 15:03:02

DaveS777 wrote

I have the same ISP for both routers - C4000XG was provided by Century Link - the Archer AX11000 purchased by me...  the DHCP address changes anytime I change routers, reboot, etc.  Otherwise - it is fairly stable.  SO - I am not using the same ISP address for both routers - since it changes if I swap; and I have no control on what Century Link assigns.  And when you swap back - it is still totally different from previous - since it is dynamic and assigned by my ISP (Century Link)

@DaveS777 

WAN IP address (what the ISP assigns to your modem) has nothing to do with the problem if your are being blocked, usually the entire possible IP Addresses an ISP can handout would be blocked. So if your IP Address you got from the ISP for you device changed, it would not change the site blocking you..

DaveS777 wrote

I have not paid for a DNS service - or looked into some sort of free one - my ISP address is quite stable - as long as I don't swap, reboot, etc.  My internal home network - I have some addresses permanently assigned, etc.   Other than that - I am not sure what you are saying with the remark of "Same DNS on both routers".  I'm a bit lost on what you are asking.

Century Link (my ISP) is not blocking the website.  Their provided C4000XG router allows me access just fine... it is what I will be using the next time I pay these property taxes.

DNS is Domain Name Services. Has nothing to do with your WAN IP Address that your ISP assigned to you. That URL has readable name in it. That doesn't 'help you' get to where you want to go. DNS does this. Your Browser will access the DNS with that 'readable name', the name entered into the URL, is this case the website 'name'. The DNS will look that name up and return the WAN IP Address to your Browser which will then go to that IP Address.

Some DNS's will BLOCK certain IP Addresses (web sites) based on their own criteria. Some they think as SPAM, Dangerous Sites, etc. When you use such a DNS and the Tax site is NOT in its list, the Browser can't go there.

Hence why I ask are they the same. You router will tell you what they are on its WAN GUI screen usually. On my router, Advanced, Network, Internet, and under Advanced on that page you can switch it to use another, like Googles.

Will Google fix it? Don't know unless you try. However, IF both router are using the SAME DNS from your ISP (they should but you should check) probably not. Worth a try though.

Options
2021-03-05 15:17:14

@DaveS777 

DaveS777 wrote

@IrvSp 

Previously I took a brief look at some log entries... but didn't really investigate.

My device's (computer) home network address is static and permanent assigned with the Archer; and the C4000XG just assigns it whatever it wants...

The ISP's IP Address assigned to you is your unique WAN IP Address. Changing router will change IP Address usually but that has nothing to do with the reason one is blocked and the other isn't. If the DNS (more on this later) or site blocks anything based on the ISP itself (spam ISP, incorrect country IP Address, etc.) it use all the allocated IP Addresses to that ISP.

DNS is Domain Name Service. It is used to translate the human readable web site entered into the URL of a browser (or other ones that use human readable names like PING for instance) into an IP Address. So "community.tp-link.com" becomes "13.249.134.106" when returned to the browser. Has nothing to do with your ISP IP Address.

Some DNS's can BLOCK some sites, based on their own criteria (SPAM, untrusted, etc.). Hence why I asked if both routers have the SAME DNS? They could have different ones for any number of reasons. Usually found on the Router GUI under ADVANCED, NETWORK, INTERNET, and then under ADVANCED on that page you can change the DNS to be used.

Try Google's as a test. If the router itself, via Home Care is blocking you, changing the DNS will not help.

You can also try PINGing the site (you'll see how the DNS translated the site into an IP Address):

C:\>ping okanoganwa-taxsifter.publicaccessnow.com

Pinging okanoganwa-taxsifter.publicaccessnow.com [207.250.97.194] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 207.250.97.194: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=239
Reply from 207.250.97.194: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=239

Ping statistics for 207.250.97.194:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 54ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 54ms

That will also tell if you can reach it or not? By the way, I have IPv6 enabled, and that site is IPv4 only it seems.

Options
2021-03-06 02:18:12

@IrvSp 

The world of internet - has definitely passed me by...

Regarding IPV6 that is enabled;  It must be a PPPoE connection type & the same session must be shared with IPv4; or I have no internet.  And my VLAN ID must be '201' or I have no internet.  This is all courtesy of Century Link Fiber Optic.  I had some time getting this router to work....  And all I really know about IPV6 is that it allowed a bunch more addresses for the Internet - which was running out of them - using the old IPV4.  So now, we use both systems.  And I had enough difficulties understanding 4; and 6 is way past me...

DNS: Dynamic Name Server.  Yep.  Other than that... (sigh).  I don't think I have any dns set up.  I am just using whatever servers the addresses run into?? on the internet??

The C4000XG has almost NO controls or configuration.  You log in; input assigned user name and password; and it registers itself with Century Link.  That is about all the control you have with it...

Searching under DNS in the Archer AX11000 I found the location to input Google...  Did that; and NOW - because of the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 - I HAVE access to the problem website page!

I really don't know what is going on here...  I know Google is providing a name service... uh huh  hhmmm ok....

But the ISP is the same.  My ISP provider is Century Link - if I am using the C4000XG or the Archer AX11000   So why does setting an optional DNS do this?  What DNS was it using before??  And correct a problem with the AX11000?  I don't even Like Google - since they are very much into Privacy Invasion I believe.  Monitor everything you do...

BUT - my OLD Android phone goes to this website just fine (TMobile); my computer goes just fine if using C4000XG - and NOPE if using the AX11000 with no DNS prescribed...

Appreciate the help.  If you wish to give me a bit more info on my confusion; I would probably find that useful.  Thank you.  Not sure I am going to keep this at Google - since I really have misgivings towards them...

Options
2021-03-06 13:14:49

DaveS777 wrote

@IrvSp 

The world of internet - has definitely passed me by...

@DaveS777 

This isn't 'complicated' at this point.

If changing to Google's DNS works, it isn't the AX1100. Plain and simple. Don't like Google's, use on of the other PUBLIC DNS's I listed before.

Speaking of Google, I suggest you Google (or what ever Internet search you use) "c4000xg dns". A lot of links about that.

Check out this one, https://www.reddit.com/r/centurylink/comments/iai9p9/centurylink_c4000xg_cyber_security_feature/ and the link in it, https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/greenwave-c4000.html and the Advanced Settings where you can see the DNS it is using. Seems Century Links DNS addresses are

205.171.3.65 205.171.2.65

Put those into the AX1100 and you might be back where you were with that site, can't reach it? You might however as the C4000XG has some other settings that might get around it... 

Check the ADVANCED settings on the device and see if the above DNS's are used?

As for IPv6, and how you had to implement it, I have no idea. All I had to do was point to an IPv6 enabled DNS and enable the router for IPv6, done. Even my ISP if I chose to you thier DNS they are 'double stacked', that is they work for both IPv4 and IPv6. Just had to enable the router.

DaveS777 wrote

The C4000XG has almost NO controls or configuration.  You log in; input assigned user name and password; and it registers itself with Century Link.  That is about all the control you have with it... 

Yes, it does, at least the last link above implies it does, under Utilities. Not sure how to get to it, call CL's Support.

DaveS777 wrote

But the ISP is the same.  My ISP provider is Century Link - if I am using the C4000XG or the Archer AX11000   So why does setting an optional DNS do this?  What DNS was it using before??  And correct a problem with the AX11000?  I don't even Like Google - since they are very much into Privacy Invasion I believe.  Monitor everything you do...

BUT - my OLD Android phone goes to this website just fine (TMobile); my computer goes just fine if using C4000XG - and NOPE if using the AX11000 with no DNS prescribed...

It seems you are missing the point here.

Operation to get to a web site using a browser at a 50,000 foot description...

Browser entered URL --> modem --> DNS -> looks up IP Address from modem, returns it --> modem which uses it --> website --> Modem --> Browser.

Not sure how the Internet works, search for the process in detail.

That explains it, and why does the phone work? Because it uses T-Mobile DNS.

Why NOT the AX1100? If you looked at the C4000's DNS and its CyberSecurity (and knew what it does?) and compared that to what Century Link gave as the DNS to the AX1100 (at the top part where you set the Google DNS's before you entered them, you'd probably have the answer.

The bottom line though I think is that the AX1100 is not the problem. It is the DNS you were using.

Options
2021-03-06 21:28:01

@IrvSp 

Yes, I know the AX11000 is not the problem.  Soon as 8.8.8.8 allowed the AX11000 router to access the website - that became known.

So, I was asking for more info on what DNS the AX11000 was using before I specifically gave it one; what one's the Century Link uses; more info on DNS in general; and expressing a bit of personal distrust with Google.

Thanks for your help.

Options
2021-03-06 22:28:55

DaveS777 wrote

@IrvSp 

Yes, I know the AX11000 is not the problem.  Soon as 8.8.8.8 allowed the AX11000 router to access the website - that became known.

So, I was asking for more info on what DNS the AX11000 was using before I specifically gave it one; what one's the Century Link uses; more info on DNS in general; and expressing a bit of personal distrust with Google.

Thanks for your help.

@DaveS777 

On the AX1100, the page where you entered the Google DNS, but that, on the portion above would have been the Century Link  (CL) supplied DNS's. You can DISABLE the Google ones and it should return, may need to close the GUI and re-open, or possilbly re-boot the router to change it back? Depends on the router, some will do it once you make the change, some might need a re-boot.

As for the CL router, on the Utility page, you can see what they supplied to the router they provided.

They should be the same, but there are other options on the CL router that get can get enabled. Possibly one is that helps or one that isn't would stop you on that router.

I posted above what appears the CL DNS's appear to be, they should match both routers (when Google's are not enabled on the AX1100).

Basically ALL routers 'ask' the ISP for the DNS when they first establish a connection to the ISP during set-up. Sometimes ISP's will 'reset' your modem for you and change them and pust them down to the router and that changes them on the router. I had such a situation with Spectrum. I'm on the East Coast of the US and was using the local office's DNS for the longest time. They never changed, but I installed a new router and wound up with a set from California Spectrum.

You can go here, https://dnslytics.com/ and get a lot of info on the specfic DNS you are using (first number is all you need, the second is a backup DNS for the first), https://dnslytics.com/.

Info on my DNS, https://dnslytics.com/ip/209.18.47.62 and you can a lot of info on it.

When you find the ones you are using, enter it there on the top page.

Here is the one for Google's DNS, https://dnslytics.com/ip/8.8.8.8

They also have some 'extensions' for your browser (most are for Chrome) that are 'interesting', like the first one on the page. Like this web site is on an Amazon Server.

Options
2021-03-06 23:54:14 - last edited 2021-03-06 23:59:02

@IrvSp 

Thank you.

It can take some Time to write some of this stuff up... I appreciate your help and info.

Thanks very much!

Options
2022-02-03 22:24:14

Typically, ISPs provide dynamic IP addresses to their clients, so every time we reboot the router or the public IP address assigned to our router changes from time to time.

Options